W115 done!

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Congratulations again to you and Laurie!!! We could see the clouds parting over North Brother as we headed to South Brother - hopefully you had great views and it wasn't too windy for your celebration. I'm glad that our paths crossed near the junction of the Mt Coe Trail...I was beginning to think we would miss you guys altogether. Still can't believe there were three groups on North Brother on the same day in winter.

Here's a picture I took of North Brother from South Brother...you guys were probably hunkered down behind the rocks.

DSC02468-L.jpg

We kind of hunkered down sort of NE of the summit sign for some celebratory happenings... J&J and I ran into the group of 4 (at the time 3) that we ran into before we ran into you at the AT Cafe friday morning!

Nice pic Adventurous. I should have my North Brother/Daicey pond pictures up tonight...

Jay

Tom, you itinerary was insane!!!!! I am officially scared of you. And I think I might want to be you when I grow up. :) Kudos.
Ha! It was mostly a lot of 'road' walking. We actually allowed a few extra days for K/H in case of bad weather. North Brother was basically a one shot deal.

There are a lot of people I am 'scared' of, several of whom were on this trip! :D

Carrying the gear in pulks was actually easier than I expected. I must say, I would not have contemplated this trip several years ago. But when I learned about the cabins and pulking, it began to seem more reasonable. Planning a March trip in October is a big risk, in terms of travel, money, etc. I freely admit we got lucky with the weather and the conditions, as a lot of people get skunked by the peaks in BSP, many better hikers than myself.

Most of our accomplishments are the result of preparation and commitment to the goal. It took me many years just to get to the point where I would even think about the W115. I can remember when the W46, the W48, and even the W35 (Catskills) were out of the question.

I give credit to Laurie for planning this whole thing, not just this trip, but the whole excellent adventure! :D

Adventurous: Yeah it was a little windy, but fine just below the summit on the Fort side. Great views, and MBP pointed out everything we could see, all the way to the Bigelows! :)

Last edited:
Procook: There are 7 NY'ers that I know of, d.g., s.c.n., l.n., you two, and us two. Also, Nat from Quebec. And I believe Timmus told me there are more Quebec finishers.

Not going to the W46R Dinner, due to conflict, but maybe the AMC Dinner.

What an arse I am, I forget D.G.!!! I am not sure if I can make the 46er dinner either, I have an event the next day back in Burlington that will take priority. Either way, hope to see you both soon to celebrate properly!

And more, these are Friday to Sunday's foray into Daicey Pond and North Brother on sat.

Abol Bridge to Daicey Pond via the Tote road, Elbow/Grassy Pond trail
https://picasaweb.google.com/104827043392670889977/20130315AbolBridgeToDaiceyPond

Daicey pond to North Brother and some W115 finishers! (WOOHOO!)
https://picasaweb.google.com/104827043392670889977/20130316DaiceyPondToNorthBrother

Daicey Pond back to Abol Bridge via Lost Pond and Foss and Knowlton trail.
https://picasaweb.google.com/104827043392670889977/20130317DaiceyToAbolBridgeViaFossKnowlton

P.S. the Foss and Knowlton trail is the way to go to/from Daicey pond if it's broken out. Almost half the distance from the tote road and not even a PUD on the Grassy Pond/Elbow pond shortcut...

Jay

What a fantastic accomplishment! I have been following your progress this winter closely. Some great trip reports and adventures you will have to remember always. Congratulations. I aspire to be at that level some day. Baby steps... working on the winter 48 with 17 down. It sure is fun, this winter hiking business. Yes? Yes!!!!!!!!!!!

From my wife:

"The Winter 115 journey was one that required so many partners.

Partners is defined in Websters in several ways, and they all apply; persons who are associated with another in action, persons who play together in a game against an opposing side, persons who share an intimate relationship, and the heavy timbers that strengthen a ships deck.

So many of you have been our partners as we went along the path to finish this journey, as persons who have joined us on hikes, given us information on routes, advice on equipment, shelter on a cold winters night, a laugh when we desperately needed it, a curse when it was necessary, and even a reminder that the peak will be there tomorrow. Each of you has our sincere gratitude for your partnership, no matter what the role was.

We did those Catskill peaks many years ago, then moved north to tackle the Daks together - thinking there was a lot of driving at the time, there were some failures, there were some very long days, there were many partners to help us accomplish those 46 peaks. Then there was a winter trip to the most northerly of the Whites and the beauty planted the seed for more. That trip was followed by even longer drives, more partnerships developed, and we finished the peaks there last winter. As last summer progressed, we knew we were going to need partners to play against the opposition of the Maine peaks, so very far from our home and families.

A team was put together early last fall, reservations were made for Baxter that we hoped would allow us some success and optimize our chances if surrounded with strong partners. To prepare ourselves for that trip, we partnered with others for the other Maine peaks, and added the Vermont ones in on travel days. And travel we did - hours and hours and hours in the car and on foot in bitter cold, snowy conditions, but the beauty and the wildness of Maine allowed us and our partners to climb all the peaks outside of Baxter prior to our reservation dates.

We truly were given many gifts by our partners as we ventured into the park together on Sunday morning. The weather was ideal, the camraderie wonderful, our hopes high, our strengths great. The trip was truly magical, the summits of Katahdin and Hamlin with great views, warm breezes, and undercast were such a gift. The rains the next day allowed all to rest who wished to, for the warm cabin to be filled with laughter - or curses depending on who shot the moon and who did not, for us to dream of the last peak.......perhaps......the Saturday morning walk toward North Brother was difficult, but made easier when surrounded by all the partners we had with us - those who had previously broken the trail, those who were physically in our presence, those who have been a partner to us along the way, our families who may not have always understood, but still supported this craziness, and my most stalwart partner - Tom at my side - without whom this would simply have not been possible, my God surrounding us with his glory - and the song "You raise me up so I can stand on mountains" in my head.

A journey completed with the help of so many partners. "Persons who are associated with another in action, persons who play together in a game against an opposing side, persons who share an intimate relationship, and the heavy timbers that strengthen a ships deck." My sincere thanks to all of you for your partnerships along with way. May you all find an opportunity to stand on mountains over and over again. "

Sniff sniff... :)

WOW!!! Now THAT was an awesome post!!!! :)

Congrats Tom & Laurie!! I cannot even imagine how much mileage you've put on your vehicles. :D

You both, and many others, inspire me to strive for challenges that now seem impossible. Thank YOU for that!

Laurie
Tom needs to let you write the trip reports more often
Simply Beautiful and a hearty congratulations on a monumental achievement
what a wonderful journey together

The Prius saw 30K this past year...

Thanks everyone, it's been a long, strange journey. Stressful, exhilarating, fun, boring, cheap, expensive, exhausting, easy, everything in between!

Congratulations Tom & Laurie!
Someday I've got to start exploring outside of the 'daks. You need to put up a 115 poster to celebrate :)