New England Gems

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ed'n Lauky

Reaction score
Blairsville GA ......... Avatar-- On top of S
Most of the folks on this website are hyper familiar with the 4000 footers. I was wondering what sub 4000 footers folks feel are absolute gems not to be missed. In that category myself I would put Chcorua, Major, Cardigan, the Baldfaces, Welsh and Dickey, Monadnock, South Kearsarge, and because of the tower North Kearsarge.

I was wondering what other gems you might have.:)

Last edited:
I will skip the 100 highest list

If you havent visited Sunday River WhiteCap just south of Mt Speck its a real nice one. Reminds me of mountain farther NW

Andover White Cap, A short hike but great views on the open granite. (views somewhat degraded to some by the new wind farm to the north).

Vt Monadnock (near Colebrook) due to its tower. Great views of the north country and the Connecticut River

Azicohos Mtn , 360 views of the Rangeley lakes and a great view south of the western side of the Maine AT.

Pemigewasset, Martha/Owlshead, Sugarloafs, Crescent Range, Mahoosuc Range in particular Goose Eye, Royces, Speckled, Caribou, Blueberry, Baldpates, Table in Dixville, Doubleheads... Agree with Moats, Percys, Crawford/Resolution, Webster and for that matter Clay, Smarts, Black, Stinson, Carr, Sandwich, Shaw, Roberts and most of the others already listed, especially Azscohos in Rangeley...

KDT

Once you have gone to Mt. Major, you really should go out to Straight Back Ridge and do the loop back to the parking lot.

I finally caught the view from Plymouth Mt. this weekend...it has better views than Welch-Dickey...well worth the effort. You can then check out the White Mountain Museum afterwards...it takes all of 30 minutes and is free!

If you're including all of New England, the list is really endless! hike them all :)

Jay

Didn't realize we were working all of New England here -- Baldpates, South Turner, Whitecap in Maine; in VT don't miss Worcester, Burnt Rock, Bald (Westmore) or Laraway.

Butler lodge is also a fun place to stay.. I approve of your sons LT section hike project.

Yeah! And the trails around Butler are great -- Rock Garden, Frost, Maple Ridge, Wampahoofus, the LT proper up the Forehead ... all wonderful. And while we're at it -- some of those LT shelters are cool non-summit objectives in their own right. Puffer Shelter? Now there's a destination.

Mt. Tom in western Mass is awesome. About two miles walking atop 200' basalt cliffs and long views. The Holyoke Range is less majestic but has similarly pretty views.

Mt. Greylock is a must, along with its ridge neighbor, the second highest peak in Mass, Saddleball. Greylock for the long views, Saddleball for the beautiful forest.

I've heard fine things about the views from Mt. Equinox, whose prominence is approximately 2800', and its neighbor Dorset Peak.

In NW CT and SW Mass the Taconics, including Everett, Race and Bear, as well as CT high point Mt. Frissell, are gorgeous and a rugged hike. Sages Ravine, between Bear and Race on the A.T., the cliff walk north of Sages on Race and the Race Brook Falls between Race and Everett are very pretty.

Last edited:
I kept hoping for more.

Your More Mansfield Daytrip Itinerary:

Hell Brook -> LT south -> Cliff -> LT south -> Lakeview -> Canyon -> North -> Extension -> Subway -> LT -> Profanity -> LT north

Enjoy!

Of the non-4k peaks I've done, Doubletop in Baxter is the tops. I hear the Traveler (Peak of the Ridges specifically) is fantastic as well. The peaks along Montalban Ridge south of Isolation (Davis, Stairs, Crawford) are great too.

In NH - most of the 52 with-a-view are worthwhile. I aslo liked Bog Mtn, Sunapee and the trails to Ragged. In ME - Burnt Mtn. next to Sugarloaf is pretty sweet. In VT - Blue Ridge Mtn via Canty trail (some of it might have been a bushwack.......but I remember the trail part and first summit being nice)