Giant Ledge & Panther on St Patty's Day - 03-17-13

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rob S

Reaction score
What a day to be in the mountains! Bluebird skies, a couple of inches of fresh powder, and only a bit of winds up high.

The day started off with low clouds and snow showers as I entered the Catskill Park on my 2.5 hour drive up. But by the time I geared up in the parking area, signed the register, and strapped on the microspikes, the sun was shining and the clouds were dissipating.

Only saw 2 other solo hikers all day, and a very large group of Korean folks that piled out of a van as I was leaving the parking area. And they were fast! Shortly before Giant Ledge, the large group passed me like I was standing still. Caught up to them again on Panther awhile later, but I'm assuming they planned to hang out awhile considering the size of their lunch feast.

Views were great today. Trail conditions were very good as well. I was a bit concerned after reading a TR from Jim Bouton the Can-Man. He mentioned the new snow might be concealing the many postholes and creating hazards. Fortunately, the trail was well packed over here, and the few postholes were visible and avoidable. But thanks to Jim, Mr Mudhook dude, for the warning because it definitely made me think, slow down, take my time, and tread carefully. A good idea when hiking solo. :)

This now completes the 4 winter peaks for the 3500. Just one more hike, KHP, and I will have completed a list .... something I swore I would never do just a few years ago. Oh well. :rolleyes:

Photos here - - -

Ooh, almost there, congrats on Panther and GL and another siting of the prolific Korean hikers enjoying the catskills! Surprisingly not hiking to a leanto for kimche. :)

One more to go!

Jay

Very nice, Rob! Beautiful pics from a gorgeous day. We were on Windham High Peak and had similar trail conditions and traffic. We met one solo hiker, but no large groups, Korean or otherwise. Maybe it's just dumb luck, but we have had many, many sunny days for our Catskill hikes. Good luck on your finish on KHP, a great peak!

Thanks guys. I've learned from the best. And have been inspired by folks like yourself, Alan, Jay, Steve & Fran, Rockysummit, Ralph & Maddy, Mudhook, the Rankins, Spence & Brian, and far too many others to name.

Truth be told, part of me doesn't want to finish. I will miss having a "final countdown" .... even though mine lasted for almost 10 years! The ADKs are a bit too far for me to consider completing that list. Considering working to complete the Cat102, but it may take awhile .... especially if we move out west. I may have a job opportunity just outside of Phoenix, AZ. But, other things to consider like my wife's poor health and my mom in nursing home may complicate and/or delay any move.

Thanks again,
Rob