Owl's Head Big Band - 3/16/13

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Roy Boy

Reaction score
After the failure of the Owl's Head Quintet to summit on 2/1 after the January thaw and rain, we decided to put the band back together, with some new additions, and make another run at Owl's Head so that I could finish my all season 48 list. We watched with concern as the weather warmed up last week and the rain came, but after monitoring river flow and trip reports, decided to make a go of it on Saturday am.

The Big Band met at the Lincoln Woods trail head at 7 am. Zac and his buddy took off to lead the way on a recon mission. The rest of the Big Band (Creaky Knees, Spaderman, Damselfly, Mark M., John B, Howard from Vt., John, Ron, and Shep the dog - I think that is everyone) hit the trail at 7:20 or so. We enjoyed the Lincoln Woods section as we shot the breeze and hit the Black Pond trail quickly.

The Black Pond bushwack was well broken out, but a bit meandering. It did avoid the nasty spruces that we encountered when we tried to do the bushwack in February. We hit Lincoln Brook and were happy to see that the water levels were much lower than they had been in February. The small tributary which required us to go about 50 yards upstream to cross in February, was easily crossed this time. We had turned around at the next crossing in February, but easily crossed it this time. The snow bridge was still in, if a little shaky. The final crossing had moving water but was easily crossed on the rocks.

Finally time to start going up. We picked the wrong tracks for the Brutus bushwack, and meandered again for a bit, before finding the old logging road. The steep climb was slow going, and a little icy. Although, we all managed it with microspikes. We encountered Zac on his way down, as well as a couple of other groups heading up at this point. Shortly after the Brutus boulder, Damselfly put me in the lead since I was finishing my list. A small group of us sprinted to the top, where the rest of the big band joined us shortly. Cold set in pretty quickly, and after a short break we began to head down.

The steep section was a little hairy going down. Again, we all managed it in microspikes, but it was not an artistic success. In several places, the best strategy was to get off the broken out trail, and take advantage of the deeper snow. Soon enough we hit the bottom of the mountain, and began the long slog out. We were back to the cars about 5 pm, and took off for celebratory beers and burgers at the Shining Time Station. We met Steve Z. there who had just finished a successful hike on the Hancocks.

Trial conditions were fine, most of us wore microspikes for the day. We did see some people in snowshoes, but we decided to forego the extra weight. There were a few spots in the climb were crampons would have been useful, but most of us decided the changeover wasn't worth it.

Thanks to everyone for joining me on this finishing hike. Thanks also, to all those who have joined me on hikes over the 25 years it took to finish this - with the possible exception of my ex-wife :) . Spaderman has promised pictures soon.

Last edited:
Comrade RoyBoy: Great Soviet Hiking And Climbing Committee is wishing you much congratulations on finishing the 48 All Season list! Regret that I could not be there. Now stop slacking, and finish the Winter list, so we can all hear "How the Grinch Stole Christmas" again...Rick

As promised by RoyBoy, here is the link to pictures I took. http://bit.ly/Z1UUm8. Not as many as usual but the group ones came out nice. My thanks to Pete for taking those pictures.

Big congrats to RoyBoy for completing the All Seasons 48! Now on to the Winter 48!:D

Last edited:
Thanks also, to all those who have joined me on hikes over the 25 years it took to finish this - with the possible exception of my ex-wife.

Hee hee, that's pretty funny. :D
Congratulations !!
I like your mellow approach - what was your first peak 25 years ago?

Congratulations Roy!

A dream not deferred this time. I am so glad that this trip was a successful one. Best of luck and keep in touch.

Until next time,

Z

First peak 25 years ago was Jackson. After a bad backpacking experience in 86, we hiked into Mizpah, and then headed over to Jackson and out the Webster Cliff Trail. As I think about it, I did Washington as a kid, and a previous backpack to Zealand, Guyot, and the Bonds before I started keeping track. So maybe its been a 37 year journey.

Congratulations! It was nice meeting you even though it was only in passing. Zac and I made great time out in front.

Congrats Roy! I had a long journey for the NH 48 too. Took me 25 years to get around to it and then another 3 1/2 years to decide to finally put in for the patch. It was about the journey for me not the reward. I put off the last summit for like a year and half before finally completing it. :)