Underhill State park, VT

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HAMTERO

Reaction score
Does anyone have any beta on winter camping here recently? Can I drag my sled in from the gate, which I think is 1.25 miles from the campsites? Does it get much use in the winter?

http://www.vtstateparks.com/htm/off_season_daycamp.htm

The area around Underhill State Park gets plenty of use. On a typical snowy weekend it may be tough to find a place to park at the end of the plowed road. Many people will likely be traveling through the park to use the CCC road or to climb Mansfield. It is uphill from the parking area to the park itself, but it should be easy enough to drag a sled.

If you're intending to stay in the actual campground, you're supposed to check in with Parks & Recreation and let them know you'll be doing it, but it is open.

Having said that, there is no particular advantage to being in the campground proper, as opposed to an LNT site in the surrounding state forest, since none of the facilities will be open or working -- and if you're at large in the state forest there is no need to get permission in advance. If it were me, and my purpose were to establish a hiking / skiing basecamp, I'd go up past the group campsites (a bit above the regular tentsites and leantos) and head into the woods just south of there.

The road is very pulkable -- to give you a sense of its gradient, it's the sort of place where you can ski turns down it if the snow is fast and compact, but in powder you may need to run a straight line or even kick and/or pole a bit.

Have fun!

Thanks Guys. I am aware of the off season camping rules in VT. I am thinking about bringing my 4 year old (experienced camper) in to camp and do some sledding next weekend.

I am thinking about bringing my 4 year old (experienced camper) in to camp and do some sledding next weekend

That's awesome. Sounds like a great time. Have fun! Be careful if you sled the road -- it's got a decent gradient for that, but the dropoff down to the Browns River off the side (downhill sledder's right) is severe, and there are places where there's not much margin at the edge of the road.