Ski/snowshoe into Square Ledge from the Kanc?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Elizabeth

Reaction score
I was thinking to X-C ski in to Square Ledge via Oliverian Brook Trail, Passaconaway Cutoff, etc., switching to snowshoes when necessary. Does anyone know the recent trail conditions? Including brook crossings? Has anyone done this before?

Thanks,
Elizabeth

P.S. I have not posted on VFTT in quite a while. To those of you who remember me and my two dogs, Gracie and Salty, an update: Salty, my cancer-survivor dog, who completed the NH 4Ks in 2011 while on chemotherapy, suffered a brain tumor last August. Amazingly he survived the brain tumor, and was able to continue to enjoy short (2-5 mile) hikes, but did not have the energy for anything bigger. Then this month he succumbed to liver failure, brought on by the very drugs that saved his life. I will miss him greatly. Gracie and I will return to the mountains carrying his memory.

I was thinking to X-C ski in to Square Ledge via Oliverian Brook Trail, Passaconaway Cutoff, etc., switching to snowshoes when necessary. Does anyone know the recent trail conditions? Including brook crossings? Has anyone done this before?
Haven't done it recently, but I did something similar a number of years ago: up Oliverian Brook Tr, Square Ledge Branch Tr, and Square Ledge Tr; down Square Ledge Tr, Passaconaway Cutoff, and Oliverian Brook Tr.

Portions of Oliverian Brook Tr were fine for skiing, but I did have to walk parts of the Square Ledge Tr and Passaconaway Cutoff. (I just had skis--no snowshoes.) There is a short section of the Square Ledge Tr (east of the ledge) where I doubt that one could even use snowshoes...

Doug

Very sorry to hear about Salty - I'll sure Gracie misses him too.

Thanks Doug and Kevin.
I will wait to see whether the rain Sunday evening fell as snow in the mountains.
Gracie has been in mourning and could use a good, long day of exercise in the woods to cheer her up.