Mount Israel Via Wntworth Trail 3/30/2013

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jazzbo

Reaction score
Waltham, MA Jazzbo & Marty meet Bigfoot on Kenne
Snow is still deep above 2000'. Not as deep as further north, but still deep enough to merit carrying snowshoes even though it doesn't look like snow shoe conditions in the parking lot. I barebooted and didn't posthole due to packed trail, but had it been tad warmer postholing would and will be problem in summit area.

I was kicking my self for not carrying snowshoes as I bushwhacked over to Mt Dinsmore and postholing was a problem. Nice open woods out on ridge. I abandoned attempt at Mt Dinsmore but did make to the col as I'd had enough of the postholing by that point. Snow depth varied from traces on the many picturesque ledges to crotch deep due to drifting. Splendidly clear day to be out. Had enough time to explore Mt Israel Road and visit couple of sugar houses. Sweet! Literally!

parking lot at Mead Base is gated probably to protect parking lot from cars rutting due to muddy conditions therein.