crampon problem

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JackH

Reaction score
I have Grivel G10's and I love them but the excess strap material continually comes loose no mater how I tie it and it becomes a hazard. I know I could cut it but I like the straps long as I can leave them open and just step in and tighten when I need to. I was think of addind velcro somewhere but haven't really thought it through yet. Anybody have this problem. Got a fix?

Yes, same problem. I've been using 4-point crampons alot lately and I've been contemplating the excess strap problem. I'm going to try to customize them by replacing the straps with snowboard binding straps. It will almost certainly work well, just haven't gotten around to it yet. I'll let you know how it goes, maybe this weekend.

Jack are these G-10s the New Classics? I normally just wind the excess strap around the taught part of the strap on the front of the boot with no problems. FWIW, my Sherpa Snowshoes have a piece velcro stitched to the end of each strap and then a pad of the other velcro part (male? Female?) stitched further up the strap, but mine have continually and always come "unvelcroed", so again, I just wind them around between the strap and the boot.

Last edited:
Took me a while

Since I seem to live in my crampons over the winter (who needs snowshoes these days?), I have figured out how to deal with that annoying extra length, errrr, hehe...

Just wrap a few extra times around your ankle and tuck into your laces. It really works well. No need to cut anything or velcro or get all fancy and what not.

For those that wear gaiters with a velcro closure, you can simply pull the velcro apart near the ankle, shove the loose strap into the gaiters, and then "reseal" the velcro on the gaiter. Et voila! It works quite well.

John

I've tried the wrap around idea, as well as tucking the excess into the gaitor, but after a while the underbrush yanks it back out.

You can get a thin buckle that you can wind up on the crampon strap and then when tight, you can tuck that into the buckle to keep it taught. My Sherpa snowshoes has something like this but it's only a "hook" thing you put the lace in from the top. I replaced that with a 1" wide buckle thing and now it's better. Of course, it now takes slightly longer to strap in but it's fairly inconsequential and it's overall faster than to have to continuously restash the extra strapping.

Jay

In the gaiter

Like johnycakes said, I also take the extra (after having tried many other options) and tuck it in my gaiter. In conditions where crampons are needed I have not found that this compromises the use of the gaiter at all.

I only have this problem when I'm wearing my leather boots, my plastics are bilky enough that I need all the strap.

What I do is as I fasten the strap I slip the end roung and under (forward) and I I tighten I push the end through the loop toward the rear. I don't know if tha's clear.

Doug

Jeez, I thought it was only me. Hey, I like the laces thing and I especially like the gaiter idea.My crampons are the new classics and I was using a leather boot which leaves 6-8" of strap... just enough to step on with the other foot!
Thanks everyone.

Cutting is bad. What if you ever got say plastic boots or bigger ones. If you've cut it too short, then you'll need to get longer straps. Ask me how I know this? :)

Jay

Several years ago, I had a pair of tevas that came with little rubber rings (similar to simple gaskets) that went around the straps for holding the extra strap tight. I had another pair of sandals that could have benefitted from the same concept...

I went to a hardware store and got some black rubber ring gaskets (they were in the section that has all the boxes with nuts/bolts/odd/ends). They had all sizes and I found the ones that fit the teva straps best.

While I haven't tried this for crampon straps, I suspect the concept is the same. I tuck my extra strap like others have mentioned with few problems.

A long time I ago, I also made sure that my left crampon had the stap ending up on the left of the boot and vice versa. That way, any temptation of one crampon to bit the other one (it's happened to everyone) is diminished.

good luck!

spencer