Sterling Forest - 4-6-13

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rob S

Reaction score
The weather was forecast to be perfect, so even though I had other plans, I had to change them. Glad I did ….. the forecast proved 100% accurate!

Temps were about 40F when I started the 8+ mile loop, and warmed up to the mid-50s throughout the day. Skies were very clear, and deep blue; a good combo when seeking the views. Took the connector trail to the Sterling Ridge Trail, visited the firetower, then along the ridge northbound, and return via the Sterling Valley Trail. Saw very few people, but crowds closer to the Visitor Center. Parking lot was nearly full upon my return (only a few cars there earlier). Folks out walking in their Sunday best, suit/tie, dresses, and fancy hats. Guess I should have worn my dress bandana!

Only saw one small pile of snow …… spring has apparently sprung (around here anyway). Lots of wildlife – hawks, a bald eagle, several woodpeckers, grouse, spring peepers, salamanders, deer, and a couple of garter snakes. Momma and a baby snake. The baby was playing with momma …… chasing her, and then wrapping all around her mama when she caught up. It was very cool to watch.

Views from the firetower were very good. I missed the views during my visit here last August and ended up getting soaked in a summer storm. Much better luck this time. The NYC skyline is visible to the south-east, and you can easily make out the Empire State Building and Freedom Tower.

PHOTOS