Adirondack 4000 Ft Options

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

foreverpats

Reaction score
I am an 60 year old hiker from New Hampshire. I've climbed all but three of New England 4000 fters but have never hiked in Adirondacks. One of my "bucket list" items is to climb at least one 4000 fter in the ADK's. Any suggestions for an easy to moderate day hike with views at the top as well as enroute?

I am an 60 year old hiker from New Hampshire. I've climbed all but three of New England 4000 fters but have never hiked in Adirondacks. One of my "bucket list" items is to climb at least one 4000 fter in the ADK's. Any suggestions for an easy to moderate day hike with views at the top as well as enroute?

Cascade is one of the easiest high peaks and a good starter peak. It's easily accessible from Rt 73, a relatively short and direct climb and a rocky summit with good views. I think totals are about 4-5 miles roundtrip about 2000' of ascent.

Another option would be Wright, which is accessed from the Adirondack Loj. Wright is a little longer hike than Cascade, higher and better views. If you're motivated and time permits Algonquin is very close to Wright and would make a better(albeit longer/higher) destination. Wright is about 7 miles roundtrip and Algonquin 9 miles roundtrip.

Another option which involves more effort is to climb part of the Great Range from the Ausable Club. Heading in along the Ausable Club road, you could climb Gothics via Pyramid and either head back down if you've had enough or continue on to Armstrong and then Upper Wolf Jaw. You could descend from the Upper/Lower Wolfjaw col back to the Ausable Club road. I find the lake road walk pretty, with the lake at the end and then the climb up over Pyramid to Gothics is one of the classic Adirondack hikes.

The most commonly used map now is the National Geographic map, although I still use the Adirondack Mountain Club map, but I don't know if those are still available.

Cascade is about the easiest, with a very busy trail and open rock dome on summit. You can toss in it's next door neighbor, Porter with another 30 min roundtrip.
Big Slide or Wright are likely the next easiest of the high peaks. Summit of Wright is open rock and usually very windy. Big Slide has some nice views, and if you take the Brothers trail, some great views along the way.
The NG map is the latest but you can find versions of the ADK's map to the high peaks.
The Adirondack Mt Club will have a brand new high peaks map later this year or early next.

One of the best for views enroute is Rocky Peak Ridge the long way from New Russia.

Right, I missed that; I was reading that the OP had completed most of the NE 4Ks, so thought RPR was a reasonable suggestion. You're right, it's not really moderate.

Giant via Zander Scott Trail is another one that has some pretty awesome views along the way and at the summit.

-Chris

I would say Algonquin is moderate in difficulty and it will give you the best feel for the Adirondacks with the trails and views.
The only problem here is that the OP requested a 4k peak and Algonquin is a 5k peak.

:D

If you go on a weekday, I'd pick Cascade but would avoid on a Saturday or Sunday due to the crowds. (It's Pierce or Jackson like)

On a weekend, I'd look at Wright or Phelps or Big Slide. (Big Slide provides some of the best views of Gothics.) Many people would tell you that you either have to stand on Gothics or see Gothics to get the best views of the ADK's. (Wrights may be similar to climbing North Twin or Carter Dome via Zeta Pass, a pretty easy beginning that then does some climbing, Big Slide depending on approach, Garfield liek but with many more views down low when going over the Brothers)

Algonquin is worthwhile to add to a trip to Wright's but may push you past moderate. Parking for Big Slide at the garden can be problematic, full most weekends & Fridays, requiring a shuttle ride.

I'd look at a long weekend & I'd opt for a couple. It would be like trying to give an ADK climber one peak they should climb in NH. (Garfield or Carrigain would be on my short list but you'd need Franconia Ridge & a Presidential or two.)

Last edited:
Marcy fits the bill, I think. Although at 14.8 mile RT it might be stretching the moderate appellation. However it's only about 3100 ft. of elevation gain over the 7.4 mile climb. It has nice views along the way: the puddle formerly know as Marcy pond, with the tremendous views of Colden, Avalanche, and Wright; beautiful Phelps Brook; Indian Falls and view of Colden and the McIntyres from same; the ever-expanding views during the final push to the summit; and of course, the fantastic summit views! The downside might be the crowds. I would not climb this on a weekend or holiday.

I haven't hiked a lot of summits in the ADKS but at a VFTT ADK gathering I climbed Giant and Rocky Peak Ridge one morning. I got on the trail early and had it to myself on a beautiful day. At the summit I met a state employee enjoying the view and commented about the lack of folks on the trail. He ruefully looked at me and said just wait until the Montreal Express shows up. I asked about the Montreal Express and he predicted a surge of Canadians normally headed down and mobbed the trail at around 10 AM. Later on when going down I realized he called it perfectly, the lot was overfull when i got down and the trails were crowded with Canadians in various states of condition and equipment. The nice part with Giant is its the close to the ferry from NH and has nice views back to VT. Adding in and out and back to RPR was nice but quite a drop down a wet slippery eroded out trail.