Chocorua Champney Falls

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChacoTaco

Reaction score
Lookin at this hike for Sunday's beautiful weather. I see on nhtrails that the bridge was washed out. Should I just go Hammond Trail or maybe Carter Ledge? Also does anyone know about White Ledge Parking?

White Ledge was still gated last weekend, and I suspect will be until Memorial Day. There's usually room for 4 - 6 cars to the sides of the gate, depending on how smartly people park...

The loop is a popular shoulder season hike, so I'd get there early to ensure a parking spot.

I think the trail (whihc is an old logging road) used to come out on the highway on the other side of the stream so I expect not a lot of bushwhacking

My favorite loop on Chocorua is going up the Piper Trail , turn right to Nickerson Ledge, to Carter Ledge, over the Sisters to Chocorua and down the Hammond Trail to the Weetamoo Trail, to the Piper Trail and back to the point of beginning. Ok, this off topic for the Champney Falls Trail but it is worth doing some day. You do have to cross a stream just before reaching the Piper trail on the Weetamoo Trail but unless the water is really high, it shouldn't be a problem.
See Dave, I can avoid politics once in a while.

White Ledge was still gated last weekend, and I suspect will be until Memorial Day. There's usually room for 4 - 6 cars to the sides of the gate, depending on how smartly people park...

The loop is a popular shoulder season hike, so I'd get there early to ensure a parking spot.

Excellent, thanks. That loop looks great on the map Trail Bandit. Im trying to keep the miles low for our 5 month old pup but Im thinking he is ready to stretch out a little more.

Looks accurate: http://www.fs.usda.gov/alerts/whitemountain/alerts-notices

"Due to the force of heavy rain and subsequent ice jams, Champney Bridge (adjacent to Champney Falls parking lot) was destroyed and is impassable. Hikers will have to cross the brook to access the Champney Falls trail."

If the Twin Brook crossing isn't doable on foot, then a short 'whack shouldn't be a problem.