Blueberry Mtn, Green Mtn, and Lyme trails 4/18-4/20

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grouseking

Reaction score
One of the lovely advantages to actually having a car and license is, I can choose to go where I please. This weekend (my weekends are Thur thru Sat) I decided on three different places to visit..Blueberry Mtn in Benton, Green Mtn in Claremont, and some Lyme, NH conserved lands. I will start with Blueberry Mtn-

Friday was a spectacularly warm day (temps in the low 70s at the trailhead for Blueberry Mtn).

IMG_5108-L.jpg

The first mile or so was a logging road, so I made quick time on this part. It is pretty amazing seeing all the trees cut down, but it isn't that appealing to the eye. Fimally, I made it to the actual trail-

IMG_5114-L.jpg

The trail was quite muddy, especially down low, with occasional crossings-
IMG_5116-L.jpg

There were a few patches of ice and snow, but they are offically more of the exception than the rule. In fact, even up high in the spruces, there was completely bare ground.

IMG_5121-L.jpg

The first interesting view I noticed was of Mt Cube and a piece of Lake Armington

IMG_5136-L.jpg

Looking west..the Signal Mtn range in VT in the distance
IMG_5132-L.jpg

I visited the summit, but was unimpressed with the views. If the trees had been shorter, it would have great. But alas, I knew an awesome view to Moosilauke lay ahead of me.

IMG_5151-L.jpg

I walked around to get a neat view of Clough-
IMG_5159-L.jpg

By now the weather was starting to deteriorate slightly...the winds were cranking! I decided it was time to head back just in case I was swept up in a sudden downpour.

A look along the Benton Range...I'd love to hit up those peaks.
IMG_5175-L.jpg

From Killington to the mini sugarloaf (I would love to hike that little peak too, but I think it might be on private property)
IMG_5178-L.jpg

I made great time heading down, and made a short bushwhack to check out some snowmelt cascades.

IMG_5193-L.jpg

IMG_5192-L.jpg

From there, it was a quick walk back to the car, well before weather turned for the worse.

Green Mtn is next!

Green Mtn, Claremont and True's Ledges

Next on the agenda was a little known mtn to peakbaggers, and prob many others. It is called Green Mtn, which is the highest point in Claremont, NH. The trail is an access road to some towers. The route is far from picturesque, especially with the crazy logging going on, but that helped to open up some views. Without further delay...

Mr woodpecker making noise
IMG_5208-L.jpg

Weather for the day was cool and brisk. Occasional sprinkles were the rule for the first half of the hike, but then the sun came out as we were headed back. Here are some of the directional views scattered around the summit.

Okemo, I think-
IMG_5219-L.jpg

Not 100 percent sure...but I wonder if that whale shaped peak is mt wantastiquet (great views from there)
IMG_5235-L.jpg

Sugar River Valley
IMG_5242-L.jpg

Unique view (to me) of Claremont
IMG_5257-L.jpg

The views from the top were nice, but from the road that led to the access trail...well they might have been the best of the day!

Ascutney
IMG_5263-L.jpg

IMG_5265-L.jpg

On the way back to Lebanon, we stopped at an Upper Valley Land Trust conserved area, called True's Ledges. They were flowing quite nicely.

IMG_5275-L.jpg

IMG_5289-L.jpg

IMG_5294-L.jpg

Next, the Lyme Hill Conservation area trails....

Lyme Trails-

Last, but by no means least, I checked out some Upper Valley Land trust properties in Lyme, NH. Despite the rain during the first half of the day, it was a rewarding hike. First-the Grant Brook Trail-

Could someone identify this?
IMG_5039-L.jpg

Grant Brook was a-flowin'
IMG_5045-L.jpg

View to Lyme Hill-i would be climbing this later.
IMG_5061-L.jpg

Next stop...Lyme Hill. See???
IMG_5069-L.jpg

Views from the top were limited, but I could make out Smarts and Cube mtn thru the trees. I decided to bushwhack a bit more, but couldn't find much for views. Into Vermont-

IMG_5079-L.jpg

And Moose Mtn-
IMG_5075-L.jpg

Some more woodpeckin'
IMG_5084-L.jpg

I took a trail back down to River road that led me right by an old cemetery, Lyme's first residents. It is a shame these gravestones aren't kept up

IMG_5090-L.jpg

And since I didn't have enough, I decided to redline a piece of trail that is in the guidebook...the Fred Harris trail near Moose Mtn. It was only 1/2 mile of trail, but when you included the side trails I had to take to get there, plus a road walk to the car, it probably ended up over 2 miles.

IMG_5100-L.jpg

Mink Brook tributary
IMG_5104-L.jpg

trail was a muddy mess, but i think it would be a nice ski in winter.
IMG_5105-L.jpg

Finally, a neat bridge on the access trail to the Class of 1966 supercabin owned by Dartmouth.
IMG_5107-L.jpg

So there ya have it! Lots of hiking, and I hope to do more soon! Hope you enjoyed...

Last edited: