The 10 Best Dog Breeds for Runners

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Very interesting. A point our vet made was that any dog running with people needs to be able to vary it's pace. Dogs on a leash, running long distances at a stride and pace of a human is not good for dogs. She recommends that our 4 legged running partners either be in places where they can be off leash and run, stop, sniff, catch up, varying their pace. Or, if on a lead, we need to do the same thing or they risk injury and boredom.

What dogs do (run, stop, sniff, catch up, vary their pace) is probably better for our fitness as well, than the unnatural "steady pace run" that we humans have dreamed up, especially on pavement. We would do well to emulate our dogs in our running! :)

What dogs do (run, stop, sniff, catch up, vary their pace) is probably better for our fitness as well, than the unnatural "steady pace run" that we humans have dreamed up, especially on pavement. We would do well to emulate our dogs in our running! :)

There is a theory that human's ability to run at a slow steady pace for long periods of time was a Darwinian advantage.

Endurance running hypothesis

I think emulating a dog or young children in a playground is Fartlek training.

Don't dogs need to to stop and pant in order regulate their temperature?

Last edited:
I'm convinced the author doesn't know a thing about Airedales.

Or any breed in particular - I doubt there's any particular expertise behind this, other than the ability to read breed standards. Would have been more useful if they'd had a knowledgeable vet (someone with orthopedic experience) talk about what physical characteristics to look for in a specific dog (mutts included). Just because a breed was originally used for a certain task doesn't mean breeders today are still working towards that function, rather than what that function "looks like."

I'm still blown away by the description of the Airedale. The Airedale does not have a "short wiry coat." He has a double coat that is woolly under a hard wiry outer coat. Like the Poodle, the coat continues to grow and it gets very thick. It is only short if it is shaved off. IMO the Airedale is better suited to cold climates. I would take Duffy above the treeline in January and February, but not in July and August unless it was a cold overcast day. Most Airedales today weigh in at 60 lbs or more. He is not a small dog,and he has the stamina to go well beyond 10K. (Did they mix him up with the Welsh? If so they still got the coat and energy level wrong. The Welsh has the coat of the Airedale and the energy level of the Jack Russell.) I will say that Duffy was a dog that liked a steady pace and when behind a bicycle would set his pace. He wouldn't wear himself out trying to sprint too fast if I got going too fast. The only time he really sprinted was when he was after prey.

Interesting that they didn't mention the world's greatest K9 endurance athletes; the Alaskan Husky. The dogs that run the Iditarod, etc. Ah, probably because it's a "village mix" and not an AKC breed. Coon hounds can run forever but they become absolutely insane once they get the scent of anything small and fury.

Would have been more useful if they'd had a knowledgeable vet (someone with orthopedic experience) talk about what physical characteristics to look for in a specific dog (mutts included).

For something I'm writing, my Lab's vet has provided a gold mine of information about this very topic. I can't pass it along without her permission, but long snouted dogs are both more suited and more easily cooled during aerobic exercise. Short snouted, much less so.

Best breed: American Mutt

:)

(and why is there a pic of Lyndsey Dyer on a page about dogs? That ain't right. Though I never understood people who use the word dog as an insult.)

Would have been more useful if they'd had a knowledgeable vet (someone with orthopedic experience) talk about what physical characteristics to look for in a specific dog (mutts included).

For something I'm writing, my Lab's vet has provided a gold mine of information about this very topic. I can't pass it along without her permission, but long snouted dogs are both more suited and more easily cooled during aerobic exercise. Short snouted, much less so.

Reference to that very thing was made in the link given in the piece on the Dalmatian. Here's the quote: "By contrast, squishy-nosed dogs, such as pugs and bulldogs, don't make good distance athletes, because they're prone to overheating. That's not to say your pug can't run, but he probably shouldn't join you for a late-summer 15-miler." Nothing like a good technical term like "squishy-nosed". I sure Uni-dogger would love it. :D

Last edited:
I hadn't read the link but Bookah's vet says "Brachyocephiic breeds not only have aerobic capacity issues, but they overheat more quickly because they can't cool the air they breather as effectively as long snounted dogs".
Mutts are great dogs, and usually don't have the inherent in breeding problems of some pedigrees. Depending on parentage, though, they may or may not necessarily make great hikers.

Toby would like to challenge any Weimaraner to keep up with him in the White Mountains... :p

Best breed: American Mutt

Why I love my Border Collie/Lab/Pointer mix. What a great dog he is!

...although I'm convinced the author doesn't know a thing about Airedales. :confused:
For sure! Cooper is next to me and after reading the article himself - got a good belly laugh. He's just too dang smart... typical Airedale -- and loves to be out on the trail in the winter with his nose in the snow. When it's hot, he'd rather be in the water swimming!

While I do not run, unless a cop is chasing me. I got my dog 8 months or so ago. He is a 4 yr old Austrailan shepard and he is tireless in the mountains. Our longest hike so far is 12 miles, covering snow,ice and mud and he couldve done alot more. I am in love with this breed, although I do not believe its for everyone. Your tired from a long workday and you dont want to take a 2 to 3 mile walk? dont get one of these dogs, we average 20 miles week just around town. They are very loyal and I think he would defend me with no qualms whatsoever. They are referred to as " Velcro dogs" I cannot sit on my easy chair without him, when Im working in the yard he follows me everywhere, petbed, yeah right, try your bed.