Favorite way down...

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What is your favorite way down from a peak?

• Skiing

Votes: 15 21.4%
  • Snowboarding

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Sledding

Votes: 5 7.1%
  • Glissading (Butt-sliding)

Votes: 23 32.9%
  • By foot

Votes: 17 24.3%
  • Head over heels :p

Votes: 4 5.7%
  • Another way not listed here...

Votes: 6 8.6%

• Total voters

Head

Reaction score
My favorite way down a peak is on my sled (Suprise, suprise!) The first 2 (ski and board) are pretty insane ways down a hill, but kudos to those who can! :eek: I find sledding to be much more efficient than glissading or on foot and a helluvalotta fun! Long live MAD RIVER ROCKET!!!! :D

sledding!

I've often wanted to find an alternative way down due to my knees. What kind of sled do you use? And can it be used on the 4000+ peaks? How do you carry it?

Thanks,
Bill

I use a swiss bob sled. You can get em at rei, ems, and campmor for about 25 bucks. I just strap it to the back of my pack with bungee cords for the way up and on the way down I put the poles away and just carry the sled. No one has ever said anything to me about sledding down hiking trails but I have seen some threads that suggests that it packs down the trail making steep spots slick and such. Thats why I bring crampons when hiking in winter :eek: . One of my fav's is hiking up kinsman ridge trail on cannon and sled down the ski trails, just watch out for skiers. :D :D

Snowshoe plunging

Just taking big steps down in snowshoes when the snow is deep and soft and you slide a little with each step. It's one of the things I love about winter hiking.

Butt sliding is good too, as long as I can remember to pull up the side zips of my windpants first.

I was boot skiing down a steep section of Monadnock in fresh snow once when I was passed by a young guy with a sturdy staff. He had his feet spread and was leaning back on the staff so that it formed a third leg; he was going like sixty.

One of those last jumps looked kinda like a D-spin. I loved the the mute 360', next time try a tail grab for stylie points! Rad video and great choice of music!

It's hard to call one a favorite, but I love snowboarding down a mountain. I'll never forget my first run down Mt Washington, from the summit, over the headwall, down the bowl, and all the way to the truck, on a perfect day :)

Bob Kittredge nicely describes those big , long strides on fresh powder in snowshoes. I love being off-trail, coming down through sunny hardwoods in deep powder.

My favorite way down is off-trail, whether in boots or snowshoes. My typical hike is to hike to a peak, where I'll rest and study the terrain for an interesting route down. This is always the highlight of my hike.

mavs00 said:
Dude, That is frigging AWESOME...... Great stuff. Thanks
Artex said:
Great video!!! :D :D :D I'm definitely going to have to give that a whirl next fall.
Darwin said:
One of those last jumps looked kinda like a D-spin. I loved the the mute 360', next time try a tail grab for stylie points! Rad video and great choice of music!
SherpaKroto said:
Right on! Thanks guys.