Insoles for hiking boots...

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SherpaWill

Reaction score
Does anyone replace the insoles in their hiking shoes with something other than what they came with? I don't need extra arch support or anything like that, but I am interested in trying something that's better quality than what comes with most boots.

Yes. I can't wear Superfeet (heel is too large, gives me blisters on my heels) and bought some custom insoles at Trail Days years ago that I really need to replace. After hiking the AT you'd think I would know better, but I tried to use the insoles that came with my new boots last summer and had such terrible blisters I had to drop off a 10-day hike on day five. It was terrible (I have never had my feet swell to that extent, and I had never had to get off the trail before). I stuffed the old, supposed-to-be-worn-out customs into the boots and had no trouble after. It's depressing to look back on, and I do need to buy a new set of custom insoles for my boots. There are other off-the-shelf insoles out there, I'm just afraid to try them now.

I have used the Sole Softec heat moldable insoles for years and I love them. They cured major foot pain in my ski boots and my Plantar Fasciitis from hiking is a thing of the past. I have high arches and these mold to your foot contour after heating them in the oven. Everyone has their personal favorite and these are mine.

The experts at The Mountaineer recommend Montrail Enduro inserts for trail runners, and that is what I have been using for years. You warm them in the oven briefly and then put them in your shoes/boots for a custom fit.

After a two year bout with Plantar Fasciitis I dropped some coin on a pair of custom made insoles. They helped immensely.

I have used the Sole Softec heat moldable insoles for years and I love them. They cured major foot pain in my ski boots and my Plantar Fasciitis from hiking is a thing of the past. I have high arches and these mold to your foot contour after heating them in the oven. Everyone has their personal favorite and these are mine.

I absolutely love mine too. Had them for several years now. I even transfer them to my boots I wear for cowboy action shooting too and they work great!

Would you recommend the response or the ultras for use in a medium weight hiking boot?

Would you recommend the response or the ultras for use in a medium weight hiking boot?

Depends on how thick your current insole is, and if you need more or less wiggle room in your fit. The responses are 1.6mm thick and and ultras are 3.2mm thick. Unless your current insoles are relatively thick, or your current fit is a little lose, I would stick with the response model. I transfer mine between my runners, hiking shoes(Merrell Moab), and hiking boots(Garmont Zenith) and I couldn't do that with the thicker ultras.

Funny ... I wear orthodics with almost everything but my hiking boots, such is the effectiveness of the shank in good boots. When I start to feel it in my foot, I know the shank is breaking down and I need new boots. I get 10 years out of a pair of boots and usually re-sole them once or twice before they break down.

Back to the question, I've substituted shearling insoles in some boots. They are comfortable and warm but I haven't used them in summer and doubt I will.

Tried various, but the boots are too tight to accomodate. After 3o yrs and 500,000 miles, I probably need new BOOTS.

Tried various, but the boots are too tight to accomodate. After 3o yrs and 500,000 miles, I probably need new BOOTS.

If you got 500,000 miles out of a pair of boots, they must be made of steel.

Probably Limmers

I just met Mr Limmer the other day very nice guy, I dropped off my merril Wilderness for resoleing, man his resoles are beefy, cant wait for my new treads, unfortunatly I was late looking at 8 weeks, ok thats cool Lasprotiva Makalues in researve.

Don't laugh....I get my boots pre-broken in. Meaning I have someone else wear them indoors for about 3-6 months to make them soft. So they come with a little too much volume for my foot. To deal with this I use a layer of 1/8" urethane (60 durometer) purchased from an industrial supply company in flat sheet and cut to the size of the inside of my boot. After I put the urethane in the bottom of the boot, I re-install the regular insole or some other insole I have laying around...it adds much impact resistance and the urethane has lasted for multiple boots.

I would try something cheap at Walmart or Rite Aid before shelling out huge bucks. I needed a cheap $7 insole to fill a ski boot, and I tried it in my hiking boots after losing a insole. It worked wonderfully.

I am on my feet all day. After much experimentation, I have settled on Dansko's for most work days , or Green Superfeet inside other enclosed footwear I use - boat shoes to my Limmer Standards.