tripyramids via the slides 4-30-13

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bombadil

Reaction score
4-30-13
Couldnt wait any longer to get on the slides. Bare ground until crossing the river to start the loop from the north. Needed snowshoes immediately as there had been little activity this way as of late. Trail a little tough to follow with the light blazing and no footbed to follow. Turned uphill a bit too soon and bushwhacked over to hit the slide and missed out on the lower 15-20%. Its a mix of snow and ice down low. Eventually it got to be too much in snowshoes and opted to bail over onto some tricky wet rocks to climb faster. The higher you go the more open, bare, and dry it is. There's still a smalll ribbon of snow on the edge if youre searching for some white stuff to climb on.

From the top of the north slide i switched to spikes. I was a bit surprised people had been through in the last few days as its melting out so quick its a bit tough to spot the monorail in sections. The south slide is bare and dry but the sections where it pops back into the trees theres still a bit of snow and i used spikes. It then transitions to very lousy undermined snow where i was constantly punching through. Eventually it gives way to bare ground a ways before the river crossings. Nobody out per usual. I think i did 30+ peaks this month and saw only 4 hikers!

Pat
pcushing21 at yahoo dot com