Old Man - 10 years ago - May 3, 2013

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I also miss him. We never drove through the notch without looking up. My parents took us kids to see the old man - my husband and I in turn took our kids.

I remember that morning I heard about it on WBZ radio, and put out a post on the AMC forums.

Thanks for the reminder. I used to always make a point to look up driving through the Notch. I thought he was immortal so I was shocked of his demise.

I actually was driving through the Notch that morning for a hike on either a cloudy or foggy morning so I could not catch a glimpse. When returning through the Notch I saw all the TV vans and assumed it was something to do with the annual maintenance but thought it was unusual for all the press. When I went on the Internet back home, I then learned of a sad day in NH history.

I was living in Colorado at the time, but came home that summer for a friend's wedding. My brother and I made a pilgrimage to the viewing site. Just a sad moment to lose an iconic piece of our landscape.

Thanks for the reminder. I used to always make a point to look up driving through the Notch. I thought he was immortal so I was shocked of his demise.

I actually was driving through the Notch that morning for a hike on either a cloudy or foggy morning so I could not catch a glimpse. When returning through the Notch I saw all the TV vans and assumed it was something to do with the annual maintenance but thought it was unusual for all the press. When I went on the Internet back home, I then learned of a sad day in NH history.

That was the same with me. I had stayed overnight in the North Conway area, and was driving through the notch in the fog the following morning when I spotted the TV vans. For the life of me, I didn't know what that was all about, and didn't hear the news until I had arrived at home. Darn fog, I would have hung around had I known what was going on!

Here's looking at you, Old Man. I miss your frosty chin gazing over the valleys.
Old-Man-of-the-Mountains.jpg

I was in college when it happened, so not in state like normal. I still look up every time I drive by there. I got into photography after it happened, so I'm bummed I will never be able to get my own picture of him. Luckily there are family photos.

Scan0026-M.jpg

My late grandmother's maiden name was Geddes. Edward H. Geddes was the quarryman from Quincy, MA that helped protect The Old Man. My grandmother once said there may be a plaque or grave or something in the area. Just recently we were doing some family tree stuff, and made this potential connection. He's possibly a distant relative (which would be very very cool), but we need many more pieces to that puzzle, such as who Edward's parents are. I have actually not been to the Old Man pull-off areas since sometime many years ago (despite my frequency through the notch). Does anyone know what, if any, plaques or monuments are in the area (roadside or up near the rock face?) After reading about what Edward H. Geddes did for the Old Man, I'm very interested. Thought some of you might know for sure, and if so, I'll make a dedicated trip to check out the area.

10 Years since the OLD MAN

10 Years ago today ~~ May 3, 2003~~ the Old Man of the Mountain came crashing down.

I felt so sad, like an old friend had died. :(

We were heading up to hike in NH with friends that morning
& of course we just HAD to take a ride thru Franconia Notch to see for ourselves that it wasn't a mistake.

I cringe when I think about the times I belayed from the turnbuckles - yikes!
Hopefully from the screw-eyes on the mountain end of the cables rather than the Old Man end... :)

I climbed up there several times myself, but I don't remember what I used for a belay anchor.

At least one of the big blocks would rock if one walked out on it...

Doug

If it had to fall, I am glad it happened at night. Many climbers have enjoyed the climb known as Lake View and especially the final pitch up the corner on the south side of the old man's head. I always found the flake a bit stiff for a 5.5. If The Old Man had fallen on a nice day, there probably have been climbers below. I hear the corner climb is still there but haven't gone to check.
I recall hearing that there was a flock of climbers that went there right after the Old Man fell, to put up new routes and thereby get their names in the guide books.

“Men hang out their signs indicative of their respective trades; shoe makers hang out a gigantic shoe; jewelers a monster watch, and the dentist hangs out a gold tooth; but up in the Mountains of New Hampshire, God Almighty has hung out a sign to show that there He makes men.”

― Daniel Webster

I was in a coffee shop in SF and read the news in the paper. Holy ****, I thought!

“men hang out their signs indicative of their respective trades; shoe makers hang out a gigantic shoe; jewelers a monster watch, and the dentist hangs out a gold tooth; but up in the mountains of new hampshire, god almighty has hung out a sign to show that there he makes men.”

― daniel webster

amen!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!