Highlawn Forest Trail - Rockfall, CT meander

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Half Knot

Reaction score
Hi all,

What a glorious day, and I'm sure many of you were out and about taking in stellar views. Spent the morning at the CFPA Volunteer Orientation, getting a better understanding of those that protect and preserve the awesome paths we get to walk whenever we want. Then we spent the afternoon on the Highlawn Forest Trail identifying invasive plants so we could spot them better on other hikes. Can't say that I get them all, but I'm much better at identifying Japanese Barberry, Garlic mustard, Norway maple, Oriental bittersweet, Autumn olive, Winged euonymus, Multiflora rose and Wineberry.

Trail conditions were perfect, as you'd expect in a trail system only around for about a year. Things were pretty dry, and we really could use some rain. But wildlife abounded, with wild turkey, turtles, fish and ducks all evident. We saw several spawns of American toad tadpoles around as well.

Trail managers who cover some great spots such as Sleeping Giant, the Mattabassett trail and the Nipmuck trail were with us as well. All shared that their trails were in solid shape, and noted strong use recently as the temps have started to warm up.

Hope you all had magnificent vistas today, and more to come tomorrow!

HK