Piermont Mtn and Peaked Mtn

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grouseking

Reaction score
Disclaimer: I asked permission to hike both of these peaks

Back on 4/27, I hiked to mountains in Piermont NH. The first one was Piermont Mtn...I went up a trail out of a summer camp, and came down a trail to another summer camp, and walked about 2 miles on the road back to the car. The interest of Piermont Mtn stems back to when I worked at one of those camps. I have been to the summit several times, but wanted to explore the trail out of the other camp. Here we go-

First yellow violets I have seen
IMG_5498-L.jpg

And how about some spring beauties!
IMG_5516-L.jpg

There was a nasty logging cut about halfway up, so the trail was obliterated for a bit. Advanced trail finding skills were needed for a bit. After the logged section, the trail got pretty steep for a period, and then crested a few false summits, before winding its way to the top.

I startled a moose near the summit, and here is some of the remnants-
IMG_5545-L.jpg

Now, the summit, which has spectacular views of the western white mtns-

IMG_5547-L.jpg

Moosilauke front and center, with Webster Slide Mtn below

IMG_5554-L.jpg

A neat view of the Benton Range
IMG_5563-L.jpg

Long ridge of Carr Mtn
IMG_5581-L.jpg

On the way down, I ran into the same logging section on the 2nd trail. It was worse on this side, and it took 10 min to pick up the trail again. Luckily I had hiked this side before, so I knew where the trail went.

Now at the bottom-Lake Armington
IMG_5622-L.jpg

In less than an hour, I was back at the car. Hike 2 is next!

Hike 2...Peaked Mountain

This mountain sticks out like a sore thumb along Rt 25C, so my interest has been perked for years. You can clearly see there is a large, open cliff, and since I am a view whore, I had to get up there to check it out. Problem is, I heard that the land was private. I decided to explore to see if there was any public access. After following a dirt road, I came to the end, and there was an interesting house, and the family was outside. They said that the land was private, but I could hike it because "that is what the land is there for." I wouldn't feel comfortable going up to the house again, but there are some trails before the end of the road, that MIGHT connect with snowmobile trails that lead to the summit, but I can't be sure. Still, it is easy enough to bushwhack, and since the peak sticks out like a sore thumb, it is easy to find the peak.

Peaked Mtn from 25C
IMG_5668-L.jpg

A cool cabin along the way
IMG_5633-L.jpg

I eventually found the trail that leads to the top. Not surprisingly, the path was very steep! After hiking Piermont Mtn earlier, I was a bit tired, but the possible views kept me motivated. Soon enough, I made it to the summit. From here, a white tailed deer was looking out over the view before it saw me...I wish I could have snapped a picture, to show that deer enjoy vistas too. :) But seconds later, the deer saw me and ran off, leaving the summit to me.

Very neat view of Smarts Mtn and Mt Cube
IMG_5649-L.jpg

When I said cliff, I meant cliff!
IMG_5642-L.jpg

View of my earlier peak-Piermont Mtn
IMG_5637-L.jpg

Off towards Moosilauke
IMG_5666-L.jpg

Black Mtn, Sugarloaf, and Hogsback
IMG_5657-L.jpg

Heading back, I came across the same deer, because I kept hearing it run away from me. I guess I didn't bother it that much, since it stuck around. On the way home, I decided to take the scenic route, and drove by Indian Pond.

IMG_5677-L.jpg

And finally, a sweet view of Cube along the road. Smarts could be seen too, but I pulled up too far.
IMG_5678-L.jpg

There ya have it, a couple of neat peaks in western NH that get few visitors. Let us keep it that way. ;)

Thanks Grouse! I've been traipsing around the western whites for the last few years. I hear there is a "new" trail to Piermont, going up from the Kingswood camp. I will be hiking in the area in two weeks and was going to scout it out for a possible group hike.