Emma's last hike... Piper/Belknap/Gunstock 5/4/13

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kevin Judy and Emma

Reaction score
20130504-20130504-_DSC0058.jpg

The kind of days we had together were always the kind you hoped would last forever, that nothing would ever change and that we would all be together forever. When they were about to begin we did not know they were coming and when they were about to end we did not know they were ending. In between we had 13 and a half wonderful years together. Although the shock and pain are severe, in my mind sudden and without much warning is preferable to long and slow, lingering and withering as time slips away. In the end, she left us the way we all would have chosen if it must be, hiking and living life to the fullest right until the end.

20130504-20130504-_DSC0011.jpg

20130504-20130504-_DSC0022.jpg

We had known in our hearts that she was older and would eventually succumb to the only thing that could ever slow her down, the slow erosion of time. Time, which grinds even the mighty mountains down was the only thing she ever lost to in a fight, and she fought it right up until the end. After a clean bill of health in December of 2012, we had taken her for a full check up in April which included an ultra-sound after a slight heart murmur was detected. She was put on antibiotics for a UTI, and on heart medicine for the murmur. The vet played down the heart murmur stressing it was minor, and assured us it was normal and common in older and smaller dogs, and that her arthritis was a bigger issue to her health at this point.

20130504-20130504-_DSC0024.jpg

20130504-20130504-_DSC0039.jpg

After a round of the antibiotics she was more herself, but still not all that eager about walking/hiking. We probably assumed too much that she was adjusting to the medicine and would be fine. After getting her out on some decent walks, we thought she might be more willing if we took her into the mountains she loved. Saturday morning dawned bright and beautiful, another day full of promise. Her brother Blue was with us for a visit and we all piled into the car for a ride to the Belknaps where we could take as big or as small a hike as Emma wanted. The plan was to go from Piper up to Belknap and see how things were going. On Piper we met a few people with several dogs. Emma and even Blue were cordial even when they were sharing some food.

20130504-20130504-_DSC0044.jpg

20130504-20130504-_DSC0045.jpg

The sun was beating on us on Piper and there was little shade for the dogs so we soon headed off to Belknap. Emma seemed fine, and on Belknap where there were just the 4 of us she and Blue had some more food, she seemed fine and raring to go. As we headed north across the ridge towards Gunstock we stopped in a muddy creek down in the col just before you begin to climb again. Emma took a good cooling off and again seemed fine. On the way up out of the col she began to tire and at the picnic tables below the summit of Gunstock we took the unmarked white trail back down towards our car, skipping the summit of Gunstock for Emma's sake.

20130504-20130504-_DSC0051.jpg

20130504-20130504-_DSC0059.jpg

Back in the car she was unable to settle, it was really the first indication that something was wrong. The drive home she remained unsettled and we hoped that she could get comfortable once we got home. Back at home we became alarmed when she again could not settle at all. The emergency vet recognized that she was in congestive heart failure and did what he could to remove the fluid that was flooding her lungs, but we were too late. She had really given us no indication that she was in that much distress except that she couldn't settle. Brave little dog even walked into the vets on her own, just as she had faced down the White Mountains again and again.

20130504-20130504-_DSC0062.jpg

There isn't much more to say other than we are heartbroken. On the one hand joyous that we shared so many wonderful times together, but on the other hand distraught that they had to end so soon. It will be hard to return to anyplace that we have been to with her, but eventually we will, we must, to honor her memory. Thanks to all of you who have followed us over the years, we have all felt the love that you have extended. Know it has been much appreciated. Hug your dog/furkids and children, our time on earth with them is much too short...

Full set of pics HERE:

More thoughts and photos about Emma Here:

KDT

Last edited:
Thanks so much for sharing your heartfelt story about Emma. She is so beautiful and I could tell from the pics she just loved being outdoors...especially sharing it with her beloved companions.

Having lost a couple pets myself, the first week is rough but it will get better. I enjoy looking back at the pictures of them and thinking about special moments.

Am very sorry to hear you lost your beloved Emma. Maybe she and Brutie are sniffing noses somewhere like they did in the Whites.

Kevin and Judy, if more tears will help to wash away your sadness, please know they are falling for you in buckets. Please , go for a walk, even if you need a case of Kleenex, Emma will show you that she is still in your heart and will always be there . She wants you to keep her in that very special place.

doG Bless us all, all my departed are crowding with each other in that space they share.

Breeze

I thank you, as well, for sharing such a moving and intimate look into Emma's last days. I hope you can find some solace in knowing that she would want you to revisit the trails you shared together and that she smiles upon you.

My thought are with you,

Z

So sorry to hear about Emma, she lived a great life.............right up to the end. She looks like she was having a blast in those pictures!!

The happy note I can strike is that I'm glad that I happened to be hiking in New Hampshire the same day as Emma's last hike. I am otherwise wrought. Emma struck a deep chord with me, with many others. It was because of her sheer, pure joy in being out and about in the wild. To me, Emma in a puddle is a picture of happiness. Thank you again, K and J, for sharing her and your many stories with us. Namaste.

So sorry to hear about your dog loss. I realize how difficult it is to lose a family pet. I lost a wonderful hiking companion suddenly in 2000 and I was pretty devastated, since it was unexpected. At least your dog had a wonderful life and her last day was spent in the mountains!! You can't ask for a better way to exit!!!!!

Thank you for sharing the most beautiful pics and the story of Emma. She was a fantastic dog!
Once again...my deepest sympathy.

Maddy

Emma lived a charmed life thanks to the two of you. I love how happy she looks and I'm especially glad the angels conspired to be sure Blue was with her for this hike. I can only hope that we may all be so blessed as to spend our last day here on earth in the mountains we love, with the people we love. Peace in this time of sorrow.

Linda and Blue

Thanks for sharing such a heartfelt story for Emma!
I have so many memories of little Emma watching over Judy but wanting to lead the way! I always loved how she would position herself on hikes to keep track of you both, she loved you both and was so fun to hike with!! We all lost a wonderful hiking friend! Many hugs to you both!!!

Such a nice tribute to Emma. Bitter/Sweet in many respects.
You will always have those wonderful memories of all the hikes and good times.
The Bitter ,Peg and I have also been in your shoes and words cannot express how we feel at this time.
The Sweet is the precious memories.
I was working the Fire tower that day and sorry I missed seeing you but I agree that picking the Belknaps was a good one and I am happy about that. Did you come up to the tower? I meet so many people I may not have recognized you.
I will build a cairn in her honor on the Summit of Belknap or at the new overlook on the Blue trail that looks north in site of Mt. Washington. I hope you don't mind.The State does not allow tributes etc. in the form of signs but it will be OK for a Cairn.
PEACE.
Hal/Peg

Again, thank you ALL so much. We know your shared sadness and well wishes are sincere, you are such a wonderful virtual family!

@Hal- Yes, I came up. Sorry I didn't recognize YOU! I was the guy who wanted to see the maps, looking to see if there was a more direct route back down to the gate on the carriage road without hiking up to Gunstock. I mentioned we had a 13yo dog, that was Emma... We did go to the picnic tables and took the unmarked trail down from there. A little rough, but still easy to follow... a cairn at the viewpoint would be wonderful! As you may know she has climbed Mount Washington we think 16 times...

KDT

Last edited:
Yes I remember you now asking me about the way down. I Think I had recommended the Blue to the carriage road would be easier for the dog.
It will be my pleasure to build a small Cairn in Her honor first chance I get.
Best to you all.
Hal

Kevin and Judy,
I had the opportunity to go up Belknap on Tuesday, and kept my promise. The cairn for Emma is at the outlook on the Blue trail. I hope no one disturbs it.
Hal
The cairn:
Emmas%2520Cairn%2520002.jpg

View from the cairn:
Emmas%2520Cairn%2520004.jpg

Hal & Peg, thank you! We cannot thank you enough for this kindness! We will visit as soon as possible. You are a true inspiration with your trail efforts! It is in such a beautiful spot, overlooking the Big Pond and the distant Washington which she loved to climb! Thanks again!

Kevin, Judy and Emma

Last edited: