Ammonoosuc Ravine Trail

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChacoTaco

Reaction score
Havent seen much on the sites about the status of this trail. Met a hiker on the Presidential's that said it is still pretty snowy and tough to manuever in spots. I have never hiked it before but I have been told its pretty easy in summer. Looking at the Ammo to Washington and down the Jewell.

Based on my experience in previous years I would think that there is still a far amount of ice and snow on the Ammo trail right now. Another couple of weeks would be generally clear but I might still bring microspikes until after the first week in June.

I did that route on Tuesday. Indeed the Ammo trail "is still pretty snowy and tough to manuever in spots" but I didn't have any problems as long as I stayed dead center in the trail. Take one step to the side and your in over your knees or deeper. Way less snow on the Jewell trail. Most people I talked with was going up and back on Jewell. Hope this helps -
Dave

Chaco, I did Ammo up and back to the hut May 12 last year. A lot easier winter, so much different conditions than are likely this year. The thing I can speak to is that the Ammo will be fun viewing, with the river, brooks and waterfalls running wild. A 100 yard side trip to the Gorge, about 400' vertical above Gem Pool, is rewarded with a view of about 600' of cascading falls. Highly recommended. I followed most others' lead that day and turned around at the hut due to high winds, but I found that hike very rewarding all the same due to the Ammo's beauty. Hiked down it five weeks later after ascending Washington via Jewell, etc., from the north, and, dry as a bone, the hike was much less exciting. Better when wet.

I did that route on Tuesday. Indeed the Ammo trail "is still pretty snowy and tough to manuever in spots" but I didn't have any problems as long as I stayed dead center in the trail. Take one step to the side and your in over your knees or deeper. Way less snow on the Jewell trail. Most people I talked with was going up and back on Jewell. Hope this helps -
Dave
Thanks for the current info. Im thinking there is going to be significant melting with 70's and 80's across NH. I think I may go for a Jewell up and back.

Thanks for the current info. Im thinking there is going to be significant melting with 70's and 80's across NH. I think I may go for a Jewell up and back.

I always go up Jewell and down Ammou, but based on whats been said, Im doing the Jewell up and down sunday for the first time, Im sick of SNOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!