Saddleback/Horn INFO ??

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1SlowHiker

Reaction score
(moderator: please disregard/delete my last post of same title if it got through i lost connection before submitting)

I completed the NH4ks march 9th and plan on starting on the ME4Ks with Saddleback&Horn next tueday (may 14). I dont have as much info on the ME peaks as i did on the NH peaks and the AMC guide book i ordered hasnt arrived yet. I'd appeciate any trail info and best guess at conditions. I have a gps track from the ski area (~7 miles), but see that the AT off rt 4 is another option, but i'm not sure of the distance that way or the relative elevation gain or book times of the two routes. I am also considering doing Old Speck as my 1st ME peak instead, so any info on that peak or suggestions of which would be better to do for current conditons. I'm driving up from RI, so doing the ME peaks need a good level confidence of success before i do them, but tuesday/wednesday looks pretty good weather wise.

If I do the AT route I may consider overnighting at the piazza tent site tuesday night befor driving back. Any info or advice on that?

Just go up the ski trails!The way is very smooth on a nice day and self explanatory.The staff and vibe at Saddleback is positive and friendly.You might find some swag on the way up also.In regards to the horn,with the coming precip. I would bring cramps[I am sure most people would just use micros].If you start early you should have more than enough time for both peaks.Maine is great for May to late Sept. hiking when the crowds of the whites can be too much for some...Good luck and have fun

Check out sleepy_mikes post in the Maine Trail conditions, he did these mts. 5-4-13; a friend and I did them 5-7-13..posted the conditions on new England trail conditions...we had some deep snow patches we had to contend with heading over to the Horn; used micros up the ski slopes (Gray Ghost, Tri color up to the side trail to the AT)..the netc website has a lot of updated info on old speck and nhtramper went up there last week he posted also...good luck hope weather co ops cause the views are worth it!!

Weather forecast? I'm thinking I'd op for Old Speck first unless the weather is expected to be stellar. Saddleback & The Horn is my favorite Non BSP hike in Maine. Did several years ago on the AT. It's fairly long but much of it is pretty easy. (on another trip, went up Sugarloaf by the ski trail when the CVR was not in good shape & I prefer not ascending ski slopes. years later my knees may now, not be fond of descending them either) It is a shorter trip for Saddleback on the slopes though.

Feels a little bit like Franconia Ridge up top, not as narrow but about that much exposure.

Personally I really enjoyed the out-and-back via the AT from Rt 4/Piazza Rock, even though it was a long hike. The two ponds along the way are cool spots and the ledge walking up to Saddleback from that end was simply awesome and worth the hike all on its own imo. You miss that all by taking the ski slopes, though you still get the cool ridge between the peaks.

Last edited: