east mountain 5/12/13

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bryan

Reaction score
date: 5/12/13

trails: radar road

conditions: we drove in radar road from gallup mills, vt expecting to park at a closed gate a bit over 4 miles in leaving about 3.5 miles via the road to the summit. to our surprise the gate was open so we drove in a bit further parking at the base area of the former military complex on the mountain and hiked up from there. up to that point the roads were in good shape. from there to the top the road was paved and in great condition. we could really have driven all the way to the summit, but were looking for a hike. i don't believe this is always the case. our guess is that the gate was open for snowmobile season and had not been closed yet.

equipment: nothing in particular.

comments: a unique hike. the old military infrastructure low on the mountain and on the summit was quite a thing to see. we were able to carefully climb the stairs and then a ladder in one of the buildings on the summit to access a platform which provided views in all directions. certainly one of the more interesting summits i've visited over the years and the first i can think of where i walked on pavement the whole way up.

bryan

[email protected]