Want to do a Presi traverse in Aug - but not in one day.

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If it were me, I'd do a pemi-loop. The views from Flume, Liberty, Lincoln, Lafayette, Garfield, the Twins, and the Bonds are absolutely SPECTACULAR. One possibility: In via Lincoln Woods trail, up Osseo trail to flume, then across to Liberty Ridge tentsite. Lovely place to spend the night. Day 2, over Liberty, Lincoln, Lafayette and on to Garfield Ridge tentsite. Another LOVELY place to camp. Day 3, head down to 13 Falls - it's a short hike, and you can spend the day exploring swimming holes that you can actually dive in to. Day 4, head out. This is a VERY laid back itinerary. Just look at a map, there are endless variations for making this longer and harder and fewer days and more ridge travel. The itinerary above is most certainly a vacation hike, which I enjoy from time to time. It will leave time for exploring, cooking well, and chatting with your companions, if you're in to that.

Just a quick clarification - on the maps I got with the guide, I only see the Liberty Spring Tentsite, which is after Mt. Liberty on that itinerary (looks like it might be just down the Liberty Spring Trail) is there a liberty ridge tentsite that is before liberty? I'm not seeing it on the map.

Just a quick clarification - on the maps I got with the guide, I only see the Liberty Spring Tentsite, which is after Mt. Liberty on that itinerary (looks like it might be just down the Liberty Spring Trail) is there a liberty ridge tentsite that is before liberty? I'm not seeing it on the map.

No, you have the right tentsite. About 1/2 mile from the summit of Liberty (couple tenths down on the Franconia Ridge Trail, couple tenths down the Liberty Spring Trail). If you are up for some extra climbing/mileage in the same 4 days, I'd suggest doing the full Pemi Loop by going to Guyot Campsite on Day 3 vs. dropping into the valley. Day 4 you hike out over the Bonds which are spectacular, then a gentle woods walk out to your car. No car spot even needed. West Bond is about 1 mile from the Guyot Campsite and makes a great spot to watch sunset/sunrise from. It tends to be a busy spot especially on weekends though, so keep that in mind.

Yes, Liberty Spring tentsite, sorry, and what Madmattd wrote is spot on. The Bonds (and the Twins) really are amazing. Decide what kind of mileage you want to put in, and if you prefer all ridge walking or if a day in the valley exploring a couple of really amazing swimming holes is your thing (think - dive in and swim around kind of swimming holes; kind of nice after 3 days of dust and grime, but not as attractive if it's 50 and raining...). Whatever you decide, it's a fantastic area.

So this is what I'm thinking - Days 3 and 4 could be combined in the event of terrible weather, Liberty spring trail offers an exit after day 1 if we need it, but of course that would put us out at a highway with no parking lot to leave a car at. Maybe we leave one at Franconia Notch parking lot?

http://caltopo.com/map?id=7L4M

So this is what I'm thinking - Days 3 and 4 could be combined in the event of terrible weather, Liberty spring trail offers an exit after day 1 if we need it, but of course that would put us out at a highway with no parking lot to leave a car at. Maybe we leave one at Franconia Notch parking lot?

http://caltopo.com/map?id=7L4M

If you need to bail after first day just go back out the way you came in.

Day 2 can be a long day with a pack for a novice hiker but is certainly doable. How everyone did with day 1 will let you know how day 2 is going to go. I have used Greenleaf Hut for water but it is a lot of elevation loss/gain.

Day 3 is very short and easy day. That would be my bail out route and I would plan on Guyot instead for the third night. IMO Garfield to Guyot is easiler than Liberty to Garfield. That said 13 Falls is a great place to hang out for a day; espcially if you are willing to brave cold water.

Your planned day 4 is a great walk in the woods with a few brook crossings that can be tough in a heavy rain.

That's not a bad route. Are you planning to go mid week or overlap with a weekend?

I would let the weather determine the route you take ultimately (which means finalizing a day or two before typically). Day 2 as planned has the most exposure. If you went from Garfield to Guyot and out via the Bonds then you'd almost double your exposure. The trail from Skookumchuck to Galehead is pretty rugged (little ups and down) from what everyone has told me. Your Day 3 is really short as planning (but you can always explore from camp!).

The route as you've written is exactly what I was describing, and the extension described by Tom_Murphy is the most obvious longer mileage option. If it were me, I'd leave both options open and decide at the end of day 2. If you get to Garfield and think you really want to stay on the ridge the following day, then head over to Guyot on out via the Bonds. If you feel like a day down low at the Falls, then your route as described is perfect. As I've said, can't go wrong either way. Enjoy!

Great! I'm super excited. Couple final questions -

If I map out the alternate route (Night 3 at Guyot, out via bonds) the last day is almost 10 miles. Do you guys think that's doable? Seems like a lot.

Back to the original question that started this whole thread - We're planning a Thurs-Sun trip - do I have to worry about being turned away from shelters and tentsites?

The 10 mile last day on your alternate route is totally manageable - quite a bit of elevation loss coming off of Bondcliff, but once on Lincoln Woods trail it's completely flat - literally an old railroad bed. Easy smeazy.

It's very unlikely you'll have any issues finding a spot at Liberty Spring on Thursday, and also quite unlikely you'll have any issues at Garfield on Friday night. Saturday night will be crowded, whether you're at Guyot or 13 Falls. Guyot is pretty famous for crowds on the weekends because it's really the ONLY option around, so people are accustomed to dealing with tight quarters, squeezing in as many tents per platform as possible, and body to body in the shelter. I'd strongly recommend an early start to be sure you get a decent spot. I haven't heard of people being turned away since there's really no place to go. Just means more squeezing. But if others have a different experience, say so. For 13 Falls, it's a very short day down from Garfield, so if you get a reasonably early start you won't have any issues. If you were desperate, I recall some legal bootleg spots just outside of the 1/4 mile boundary from the official tentsite, up Franconia Brook trail (which you'll be coming down - keep your eye out on the way down). But you could pretty easily get there before noon, and in that case you'll likely have your choice of campsites. Again, I haven't heard of people being turned away. There are caretakers at both spots who should be able to direct you to someplace where you can camp. I expect they deal with overflow frequently. Enjoy!

Guyot is pretty famous for crowds on the weekends because it's really the ONLY option around, so people are accustomed to dealing with tight quarters, squeezing in as many tents per platform as possible, and body to body in the shelter. I'd strongly recommend an early start to be sure you get a decent spot. I haven't heard of people being turned away since there's really no place to go. Just means more squeezing.

I am under the impression that there are some 'overflow' campsites available at Guyot. If the weather is nice, definitely try to get there in the early afternoon make it less of an issue. Don't expect solitude Saturday night though. :) If you go to 13 Falls you should have no issue getting there early since it's a fairly quick trip from Garfield.

Quick question - are the AMC White Mountain maps the same as the ones that come with the White Mountain Guide, only tyvek? I'm going to need a durable map on the trail.

Also saw that the NatGeo maps cut the Pemi Loop onto two maps /facepalm :)

Quick question - are the AMC White Mountain maps the same as the ones that come with the White Mountain Guide, only tyvek? I'm going to need a durable map on the trail.
You can buy the AMC maps either on paper or Tyvek. They are the same ones that come in the WMG.