Mtn Monadnock and a little place called Pumpelly Cave!!!!!

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WeRmudfun

Reaction score
The ride up to Monadnock left us wondering if we would get any views as there was heavy fog. We parked on the road at the trailhead for the Pumpelly Trail. We had boots on the trail at 7:30. The trail starts out skirting along a residential area, before coming to what seemed like and old logging road. The beginning of the trip was a peaceful walk through the woods, until you take that left turn off the road and the UP starts. When we started getting to the views, it was well worth it. The first thing we saw was an undercast off in the distance and as we got higher the views got better. There is a point where the trail starts to feel more like you are walking on a roller coaster with all the up and down. This trail will give you a workout. The whole trail itself was in fine shape and dry, just a little minor mud that was avoidable. As we got closer to the summit there were quite a few interesting rock formations. We arrived at the summit just before 10:30 and except for maybe 6 people the summit was empty. The views were great up there, the day cleared up very nicely. This was our first time on Monadnock, but we heard it is usually packed with people. The Pumpelly Trail is the longest and least used trail to get to the summit. Actually we have hiked some 4000 footers that seemed easier than this trail. To be fair though it is 9 miles round trip.
Our trip back down the mountain was a completely different experience. We found the Pumpelly Cave aka Megalithia. We did a lot of research and had to weed out the clues meant to be misleading just to get us to a huge area where the cave might be. In the end we just got lucky that's all I can say. I'm not going to say what trails we used to get us into the area, but once we started the bushwack it became very interesting. The woods did their best to deter us and getting across the edges of cliffs were not for the faint of heart, trust me. We explored the whole place and signed the logbook, then we ate lunch. Getting back to a trail proved just as interesting as getting to the cave. We came out with cuts and bruises, but we also came out knowing where one of Mtn Monadnock's biggest secrets is located.
After we got back to the trailhead, we headed to Elm City Brewing Co for a brew on the View and Brew list. Oh yeah as we were driving away from the mountain, the skies opened up and it starting pouring. Timing is everything along with luck. What a great day!
We did post a video of our days adventures on YouTube, as we are not picture people. The video taken at the cave is extremely limited and does not give any info as to it's location. There is extensive video about the cave, but it will never be posted, that's for our personal memories. A secret is a secret after all. :)
Link...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5RzLanT7DeU

Last edited:
My son and I spent a number of trips searching for Megalithia. It was a lot of fun and a great sense of accomplish when we finally stumbled upon it.

I had very good information when I went to find Pumpelly Cave and it was still luck when I finally came out to it. It sounds like I didn't have it as hard as you though. Any way you find it though, is pretty cool when you aren't just being walked right to it. Once you know where it is and a few things about that part of the mountain, it's actually relatively easy to get to, just steep. It probably helps that my sunset hike on Friday was my 72nd time on the summit of Monadnock. Be glad you had such a small summit crowd, they are rare once weather gets warm. I doubt you will find that few this coming weekend.

I had very good information when I went to find Pumpelly Cave and it was still luck when I finally came out to it. It sounds like I didn't have it as hard as you though. Any way you find it though, is pretty cool when you aren't just being walked right to it. Once you know where it is and a few things about that part of the mountain, it's actually relatively easy to get to, just steep. It probably helps that my sunset hike on Friday was my 72nd time on the summit of Monadnock. Be glad you had such a small summit crowd, they are rare once weather gets warm. I doubt you will find that few this coming weekend.
72 times...WOW! :) We thought we had prepared ourselves with a lot info before venturing out to find it. I don't want to give away any info on getting there, but I'm sure there has to be an easier way to find it. That being said we still felt like little kids when we found it. Finding it the first time we hiked the mountain though we were extremely lucky. Of course trying to find it the first time for anyone (other than being lead to it) I would imagine must involve some luck. Now that it's in the GPS, we'll have no problem finding it next time. :D

72 times...WOW! :) We thought we had prepared ourselves with a lot info before venturing out to find it. I don't want to give away any info on getting there, but I'm sure there has to be an easier way to find it. That being said we still felt like little kids when we found it. Finding it the first time we hiked the mountain though we were extremely lucky. Of course trying to find it the first time for anyone (other than being lead to it) I would imagine must involve some luck. Now that it's in the GPS, we'll have no problem finding it next time. :D

Even at 72 summits I still don't hike it enough to be called a "regular." Plenty of people have multiple hundred summits. Never mind Larry Davis who averages over 300 a year now and holds the record for once a day for a little over 8 years straight. Hiking it more and more you meet these people, start to become part of a club, and also get some greats stories and information.

When I first went to the Pumpelly Cave, I had some great info, but hadn't asked enough detailed questions and found my own route to it (through some thick stuff). Once there, I was able to follow my planned route back to the trail. Thanks for not giving out too much info on the internet, the regulars like to keep this info as word of mouth partly to discourage vandalism. Plus it's nice to have secluded spots on such a popular mountain. Once you do some looking, there are tons of places of interest and history on the mountain. The URL in my signature is my informational website about the mountain and includes many pictures of the places I have been to so far. I'm always developing and trying to add to the site as well.

Back in the 70's and 80's I used to do a lot of volunteer work at Monadnock which included search and rescue as well as extensive trail maintenance and cairn construction. Over the years I've lost track of the number of times I've been to the summit, but a conservative estimate would be well in excess of 1,000 times. I've been to the cave perhaps 20 times. I seem to recall that it's been in a declining state of repair over the years. In the mid 70's it had a nice wood stove with push-up chimney, bunk beds and a well stocked supply of emergency food rations. The last time I visited it was probably early 90's and it was in sadder shape. So it's not as secretive a location as you might imagine. Nice video! I haven't been there in a number of years but will probably take a quick day trip up there when we travel east in July to visit the kids and grandkids.

Seems easier to find that Dingmaul Rock or the Crippies.....or more traveled to that Devil's Hopyard...

Back in the 70's and 80's I used to do a lot of volunteer work at Monadnock which included search and rescue as well as extensive trail maintenance and cairn construction. Over the years I've lost track of the number of times I've been to the summit, but a conservative estimate would be well in excess of 1,000 times. I've been to the cave perhaps 20 times. I seem to recall that it's been in a declining state of repair over the years. In the mid 70's it had a nice wood stove with push-up chimney, bunk beds and a well stocked supply of emergency food rations. The last time I visited it was probably early 90's and it was in sadder shape. So it's not as secretive a location as you might imagine. Nice video! I haven't been there in a number of years but will probably take a quick day trip up there when we travel east in July to visit the kids and grandkids.

I'm sure it is quite different now then you remember. Still though it is an impressive structure for being 110+ years old. :)

Even at 72 summits I still don't hike it enough to be called a "regular." Plenty of people have multiple hundred summits. Never mind Larry Davis who averages over 300 a year now and holds the record for once a day for a little over 8 years straight. Hiking it more and more you meet these people, start to become part of a club, and also get some greats stories and information.

When I first went to the Pumpelly Cave, I had some great info, but hadn't asked enough detailed questions and found my own route to it (through some thick stuff). Once there, I was able to follow my planned route back to the trail. Thanks for not giving out too much info on the internet, the regulars like to keep this info as word of mouth partly to discourage vandalism. Plus it's nice to have secluded spots on such a popular mountain. Once you do some looking, there are tons of places of interest and history on the mountain. The URL in my signature is my informational website about the mountain and includes many pictures of the places I have been to so far. I'm always developing and trying to add to the site as well.

I added your URL to my favorites. :)