Slides On The Tripyramids

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DayTrip

Reaction score
I have the Tripyramids to tackle soon on my 4,000 footer list and I am wondering exactly how tough those slides are, particularly the ledges on North Tripyramid. The AMC guide makes them sound fairly difficult. I do enjoy steep trails and rock scrambles here and there and I am not overly afraid of heights. But I do hike alone and don't want to get into any predicaments. In past year or so I've done the Flume Slide Trail and Whiteface and in the past I've done the Huntington Ravine trail. Don't remember being "out of my element" on any of these trails. I have some issues on the sheer flat type ledges but overall I think I do OK.

Anyone have any advice, information or photos of the area? Are there ledges where I would need extended use of handholds, tall ledges (say 10'+) or any sort of special equipment like rock climbing shoes, rope, etc? Any info on the area would be much appreciated. Sounds like a demanding but extremely enjoyable loop trail. Thanks.

The AMC guide tends to be conservative with such advice. If you are OK on Huntington, you should be OK on the Tri's.

The N slide is the harder of the two--it is basically slabs lower down and slabs with loose rock (mostly small rocks) higher up. Just pick what seems to be the easiest way up. The lower part can be slippery if it is wet (lichens).

The S slide is mostly loose rubble.

I suggest that you take the N slide up and the S slide down. Some of the best views from this range are from the top of the S slide.

Doug

Last edited:
In dry, summer conditions, I don't think protection would be necessary. Ymmv, but if you've done Flume, Whiteface (I assume Blueberry Ledge) and Huntington comfortably then you won't find it any more difficult than Flume, or any more exposed than Huntington. The bottom half of the slide is mostly in the trees, and there are lots of handholds.

Here's a picture looking down while ascending. Maybe 1/3 of the way up?
46563_1304364343757_4720933_n.jpg

Here's your average incline, average view, average slabbiness ;). Taken probably 3/4 of the way up the slide. There is definitely more exposure as you near the top.
47678_1304365943797_1296186_n.jpg

It's an excellent trail. Have fun!

edit: The South slide might actually be "more dangerous" to some. As Doug mentioned, it's basically all rubble. Hardly any exposure, but I almost twisted my ankle a few times. Possibly due to gawking at the views. :)

Last edited:
The AMC guide tends to be conservative with such advice. If you are OK on Huntington, you should be OK on the Tri's.

The N slide is the harder of the two--it is basically slabs lower down and slabs with loose rock (mostly small rocks) higher up. Just pick what seems to be the easiest way up. The lower part can be slippery if it is wet (lichens).

The S slide is mostly loose rubble.

I suggest that you take the N slide up and the S slide down.

Doug

Def. North up south down, I think the slides are blown into something they are not. The footing can be wet, but if you watch your step these slides are no problem. If ice was present or snow, that would all change drastically.

Sounds like a plan. Thanks for the pictures JacobH. That certainly looks like something I can handle in good weather.

The key is a dry day and preferably dry the day before. The other suggestion is to camp nearby (there is a USFS campground just up Tripoli Road) and head out early preferably on a weekday. The biggest hazard in my opinion are loose rocks from hikers further up on the slide. There are a lot of family groups and inexperienced hikers that dont have a clue that the rocks they knock down become "missles" as they fly down the slide. With some planning you can zig zag to avoid the worst of it from parties ahead but the far better approach is to go up early. The trail to the base of the slide is an old logging road for 90% of its length so it can easily be hiked right around sunrise, although the trade off is that you may encounter dew down low on the slide.

I think everyone's experience and perception is different. I found that Flume Slide and Huntington Ravine were a breeze, but was caught off guard w/No Tripyramid, partly because of its openness, the length, but also because I'm short and the handholds on the slabs were far apart. The average slope is 45 degrees, so either it's 45 degrees the whole way (doubtful) or sections are steeper. I changed into approach shoes, but still lost my footing in a few spots. But, if I can do it w/out panic (did it 3 times), I'm sure you'll be fine!

Julie

The slides look very different now due to damage from Irene in 2011. The north slide used to be one large slab after another. The storm caused quite of bit of rock sliding/smashing, which left it with a lot more loose rock. As of last summer you could see the exposed pink granite for large portions of the north slide. The south slide by contrast used to sandy/gravely (similar to Owl's Head), but it seems as though a lot of that washed away leaving a lot of small rocks on the foot bed. Both trails are now more similar than they were a few years ago, although the north slide is still the more difficult climb. I'd agree that the biggest risk is loose rock tumbling down the face - be ware of groups above/below you.

One interesting alternative to the slides is to tackle the Tripyramids from the Southeast, starting at Ferncroft. You go just past the summit of Whiteface and then head over on the Kate Sleeper trail; you drop in on the upper part of the South slide. It's a long approach - maybe 17 miles, about 5200 ft elevation gain - but if you have the stamina for it, it doesn't have any really difficult sections and the sleeper trail is nice and easy.

Might want to check this trip report if considering the route from Whiteface to the Tri's via Kate Sleeper, not sure when that might be cleared out:

http://www.newenglandtrailconditions.com/nh/viewreport.php?entryid=12672

At any rate, here's our trip report from last year via the North Slide. My son opted to return via Pine Bend/Scar Ridge rather than South Slide because the North slide was a bit loose at the top and that unsettled him quite a bit. He did Owl's Head Slide a month later and had no problems at all. Go figure.

http://nh48.wordpress.com/2012/06/13/the-tripyramids-30-and-31-for-cameron-6-12-12/

Thanks for that Summerset; sounds as though that approach is basically out at the moment then; you go right by some fairly dangerous terrain. It's a shame, it used to be lovely.

I think everyone's experience and perception is different. I found that Flume Slide and Huntington Ravine were a breeze, but was caught off guard w/No Tripyramid, partly because of its openness, the length, but also because I'm short and the handholds on the slabs were far apart. The average slope is 45 degrees, so either it's 45 degrees the whole way (doubtful) or sections are steeper. I changed into approach shoes, but still lost my footing in a few spots. But, if I can do it w/out panic (did it 3 times), I'm sure you'll be fine!

Julie

Do you find switching to approach shoes to be worth the effort? I've considered getting special shoes for this purpose but I'm not a big fan of switching shoes back and forth and disrupting feet and getting blisters going back and forth with shoes of different fit and pressure points. Wish they made a Microspike-like product with an elastic frame and rock climbing soles that you could just slip over your existing shoes. Never seen such a thing though. Where did you get your approach shoes?

Do you find switching to approach shoes to be worth the effort? I've considered getting special shoes for this purpose but I'm not a big fan of switching shoes back and forth and disrupting feet and getting blisters going back and forth with shoes of different fit and pressure points. Wish they made a Microspike-like product with an elastic frame and rock climbing soles that you could just slip over your existing shoes. Never seen such a thing though. Where did you get your approach shoes?
I've gone up the N slide and down the S slide many times over the <mumble> years, most recently in Oct, 2011 (ie post Irene). I've always worn hiking boots and they have always been adequate.

Some timid hikers might freak, but it isn't that hard or dangerous. Falling rocks usually stop before going too far (but still keep an eye out for them).

BTW the proper call to warn others of falling rock is "Rock!".

According the the 24K USGS topo, the slide is about 30 degrees with a short section (which appears to be below the slide proper) of 40 degrees.

Doug

Last edited:
Using Topo! and looking at the steepest quarter mile, I show Flume Slide at 55% followed by North Tripyramid Slide 53% max (which is close to 30 degrees.) Not sure everyone would grasp "Rock!" -- I'd think "Heads Up!" is a more universal warning, even if not technically correct. I know a lot of people on XC skis have no idea what "Track!" means.

Tim

Last edited:
Using Topo! and looking at the steepest quarter mile, I show Flume Slide at 55% followed by North Tripyramid Slide 53% max (which is close to 30 degrees.) Not sure everyone would grasp "Rock!" -- I'd think "Head's Up!" is a more universal warning, even if not technically correct.
Yell both if you want, but "Rock!" is the proper call.

Rock climbers are taught to call and recognize the call "Rock!" and this is a semi-technical climb (Class 3). There are two calls for falling objects--"rock" applies to any falling object that can hurt a person and "falling" is issued as a warning to a belayer that the (falling) climber is about to pull very hard on the rope (up to ~2000 lbs).

Doug

Last edited:
I've always been partial to 'watch out'...
Standard calls tell anyone within earshot exactly what the hazard is so that they can react instantly. Non-standard calls require the listener to look around to figure out what the hazard is before reacting. Standard calls are also much easier to hear when communication is difficult (noise, faint, multiple reflections, etc).

I suggest that all learn and use the standard calls--your lives and the lives of others may depend on it.

Doug