Hunter Mountain -- January 29 (w/ possible SW Hunter bushwhack)

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dr_wu002

Reaction score
Hi Everyone:
For various reasons, I have decided to head out to the Catskills this weekend. And, since I haven't had much opportunity to hike there, I've made the obvious choice to do Hunter Mountain on Saturday. I'm posting this in hopes that someone(s) would like to join me for what I think will be a great winter day-hike.

I have a map and I've read up on the various trails but as of now I have not chosen any particular one for the winter ascent. I'm hoping anyone interested in going could chime in on a particular trail they like, or one they want to do. I have a time limitation -- I need to be out of the woods by around 4pm -- but I could be at the trailhead, easily, between 7am and 8am. I'm also hoping (I'm a newbie at it) to bushwhack to Southwest Hunter as well! That sounds like a lot of fun.

So, anyone that is interested, please reply here or PM/e-mail me. See you on the trails.

Regards,

Dr. Wu

Dr. Wu,

The Spruceton Trail, which is really an old jeep trail, is the easiest way to Hunter, but also, IMO, the boringest (is that a word??). The Becker Hollow Trail or up the Devil's Path from Rt 214 are both much more fun than the Spruceton Trail. But, since you have a time limit, maybe you'd rather take the fastest route.

(The trail thru Diamond Notch is real nice, too, but would make for a much longer approach.)

Wish I could tag along, especially since I still need SW Hunter, but once again family obligations are keeping me out of the woods. :(

Rob

Dr. Wu,

I may be up for this. If I can do it, 8 would probably be a reasonable start time for me. I'd probably be up for something like this-meet at the Devil's Tombstone parking lot (next to Notch Lake), leave one car and drive the other back up to Becker Hollow. Head up to the fire tower on the main summit, then go back down the yellow trail to the junction w/ the DP near Devil's Acre lean-to. At that point we could make a call on whether or not to go for the SW peak. I did SW as a bushwhack from this point in October, but there's also a herd path not too far from the lean-to if we can find it. Regardless whether we bag SW or not, we'd go back down the DP to the Notch Lake lot, then drive back to the other car. Again, I'm tentative on this at this point, so if I don't go, but you do have a second car, just take all this as one suggestion.

Matt

You could also Ski the spruceton Road trail, it would save a lot of time. I imagine the ski conditions are now good in the catskills, doing SW hunter is not terribly long if you know where you're going, however, with the snowcover, following herd paths might be difficult and SW hunter has a pretty large summit plateau. Very notorious for getting bushwackers a little misdirectioned. Also, if you do wind up off path, you can hit some pretty thick spruce.

I think I might be helping some folks finish their 3500, namely Fred and perhaps Joself. Might do bearpen/vly one day this weekend.... since I didn't make it up last weekend and stayed locally to ski.

Jay

There is a possibility I might climb Hunter/SW that day. If I do it will be via the Devil's path. Should know for sure in a day or two.

Thanks to everyone that's replied so far. Here's my idea for the hike (I have a solid 8 or 9 hours too, no problem):

Spruceton Trail to Hunter Summit - 3.6mi
Firetower Spur to Becker Hollow Trail - 0.4mi
Hunter Mountain Trail to Devil's Path - 1.4mi
Devil's Path to Diamond Notch Trail - 1.6mi
Diamond Notch Trail to Spruceton Road - 1.0mi

= 8.0 miles. I didn't add SW Hunter but I assume we'd (I'd) be taking the herd path somewhere off Devil's Path (it's described in the AMC Catskill Mountain Guide, I think). That's easily doable for me in a day. Weather right now for Saturday Looks BALMY! And Clear!

Or, Matt: I am up for your idea if you want. A traverse is fine with me. I assumed a loop or in/out based on the fact that it might just be me going.

Rik: hope you can make it. Let me know what you think about the other two trail options so far.

I think this will be a great hike. Hope to see you all on the trails.

-Dr. Wu

Dr. Wu,
I like Matt's idea. It has been 10 years since I climbed Hunter from Becker Hollow and only 2 since doing the route you described via Spruceton Road so my preference would be Devil's path up and back or Becker Hollow/Devil's Path loop. If you go Spruceton maybe we will meet on top and go to SW together and then part ways. I will let you know in a day or two if I can make it. Please keep me posted of any final decisions regarding routes.

The herd path to SW hunter is just west of the leanto on the Devil's Path. Might be hard to follow in the snow but if you do find it and know where to turn off, it isn't bad.

I might be headed up to Frost Valley to do some XC skiing on Friday, I might camp out at Biscuit Brook next door. I think Josef and Fred might go do Bearpen and Vly on Sunday.

Of course, our plans are never that concrete which is why I rarely post trip and event postings, but if anybody is around on Sunday still... I might be up there. Or I might just be skiing... who knows?

Jay

Rik and Matt:

Matt's idea is fine -- so long as we have the requisite two cars, I'm game. Let me know either of you are "in"

-Dr. Wu

Thanks for going with my idea guys. I'll likely be up for this, as long as the current weather forecast holds-my wheels aren't good in snow, and my gear isn't sufficient for extreme cold. Right now they're saying 20ish and partly cloudy, which would be fine. I thought I might have a (non-hiking) friend from Albany coming down on Saturday, but it looks like that won't be happening.
Dr. Wu, if neither me nor Rik can make it for some reason, it's good that you have a back-up plan. If you're coming from the east, it'll take you a little longer to get to the Sprucetown trailhead, since you have to go all the way around and then back east through the clove.

I've never been on the Becker Hollow Trail and look forward to it. I also just like traverses and loops a lot more than up and backs. Variety rocks. I'll confirm (or not) by the end of the week.

Matt

mcorsar said:
I'll likely be up for this, as long as the current weather forecast holds-my wheels aren't good in snow, and my gear isn't sufficient for extreme cold.

Thursday and Friday look clear (and cold-ish) while Saturday, temps should warm up a bit but remain clear throughout the morning and then partly cloudy in the afternoon. Good weather for me!

mcorsar said:
Dr. Wu, if neither me nor Rik can make it for some reason, it's good that you have a back-up plan.

Actually -- I'll be at the Devil's Path Parking area at around 7:45am. If by around 8:15, nobody shows up I'm going to walk the 1.5miles to Becker Hollow Trailhead and commence the hike from there, do the loop back down to Devil's Path. If you're late and you see some loser with a heavy pack walking North on 214, (don't hit him) pick him up -- it's probably me.

Hope you can make it -- I think it's going to be an awesome day. I really hope we have some fresh powdah on the trails that day -- I've only used my snowshoes twice this season!!

Anyone else interested in Hunter Mtn on Saturday?

Regards,

Dr. Wu

Last edited:
Can you hear me, Dr. Wu? :)

I am headed up to the catskills on Friday to do some skiing. There is a very slight chance I may stay overnight somewhere. However, my nephew has his birthday party and it'll be one of the first time my mom (who had been very ill last Halloween but is now much improved will be out of our house and I think it will be a good time that I don't want to miss). But if I'm up in the catskills, I've got your schedule and know where you'll be. Don't wait up though. Have fun, hope the tower isn't too windy..brrr.

Jay

Last edited:
Jay H said:
Can you hear me, Dr. Wu?

I am headed up to the catskills on Friday to do some skiing. There is a very slight chance I may stay overnight somewhere. However, my nephew has his birthday party and it'll be one of the first time my mom (who had been very ill last Halloween but is now much improved will be out of our house and I think it will be a good time that I don't want to miss). But if I'm up in the catskills, I've got your schedule and know where you'll be. Don't wait up though. Have fun, hope the tower isn't too windy..brrr.

Jay
Well, if you see some poor slob trudging up 214 at around 8am, you'll know it's me. But your family time is more important then Hunter... we'll have to hook up some other time!

Regards,

Dr. Wu

Forecast calls for chilly (0F) temperature at 7am :eek:. However, clear skies and low winds will make for comfortable hiking :cool:. -17F trailhead temps last week at Starr King still felt good due to copious sunshine and absentee wind.

Everyone still up for Hunter? I can't wait -- this will only be my second trip to Catskills in the past 365 (first was Slide/Cornell/Wittenberg) so I'm very excited to return.

Anyone else interested? Hope you can make it.

Regards,

Dr. Wu

I'm still a maybe at this point. Don't count me in but I might show up. If I do go I should be there around 8am.

My 13 year old son and I would be interested in joining you. We overnighted on Hunter last year about this time after climbing the Spruceton jeep road. It'll be great to go a different way this year. We also need to be out of the woods by 4:00. We should be able to be at the parking lot where the Devil's Path crosses 214 at 8:00 a.m.

Halite: good to hear that you and your son will be joining us -- I think it's going to be a great hike. 8am start time should be fine for a 4pm finish. I don't think this will be too long of a hike.

Matt: Looks like we'll have 4 or 5 people for the hike, depending on Rik's decision. Looks good.

I'll PM the two of you my cell phone number for "just-in-case" reasons.

Anyone else interested you're welcome to join us.

-Wu

I'm out. Going back to high peaks. Please post a report as I may do these on Sunday.