Hiking Footwear "Issues"

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not to make the trail runner point again, but on the subject of the thread, they are generally cheaper than boots. Scarpa boots = 180; Scarpa trail runners=120. And they go on sale more often, because there is such a proliferation of brands and styles. My local shop (The Mountaineer) has numerous types of trail runners on sale upstairs all the time (left overs, discontinued, etc.). Typically you can get a new pair for ~75.

Obviously, try to never pay retail. I won't go into a shop and spend their time trying things on, and then go buy them on line. But after I have supported my shop buying the first pair at retail, if I really like them and can find a bargain on line, I'll buy a back up pair at the discount.

TCD --- I think it's interesting that I have never considered hiking in trail runners previously. I never thought about it much but I guess I always felt that I would have better stability and be less prone to turning my ankles in a taller boot. I think it's a worth a shot given that some have recommended it and have had luck with avoiding blisters completely when using them. I am tempted to try adding an insole to the low hiker Merrell's that I have which are now too big, at least in one foot, and seeing how I fare. I'm one of those people who absolutely have to try on a shoe first, so I could see myself ordering a Scarpa from Zappos and seeing how it goes. Unfortunately, I do need to stick with discount prices at the moment, but I trust I will find something within those limits. Thanks for the input.

Gaiagirl...will check the garage today to see what I have left.
Have you considered a gel sole in your boot to cushion your feet? Just take the original in the boot out to make room.
Sometimes whey we start adding things to our boots, we need to up the size. I am now in a men's 10 but the garage stock are 9's.
http://www.drscholls.com/Products/MassagingGelInsoles Available at most drug stores, Walmart, etc.

IMG_1936_zpsb29adcaa.jpg
[/URL]

OK my friend....this is what is left. Men's 8.5 for both. Lowa and Garmont's. Hope you are not in a woman's 6.
As you are aware, if they are a little big big, you could try bigger socks, and perhaps add the gel sole to the already existing inner sole of the boot. It might work for you. You are welcome to them.

Are you in NH, VT, or MA? Let me know. I work at Wildlife at Tufts every SAT so I am in close proximity to REI in Framingham.

I am so sorry I gave all the others to the neighbor, most especially if they would be a good fit. He hikes but only with his dog up the road on our high school cross country trails. He loved the boots, and I wanted them out of the house. Sure hope one or both of these will do the trick.

I also have some NEUTRAL "orthotic" insoles I bought for EMS a year ago and used them waiting for an orthotic app't. Surprisingly they did help. They were not 100% but enabled me to walk. I will throw those in to. If I were to need them again as emergencies, they would not fit the boots I am presently wearing. I also travel to VT. If it's convenient we could meet up.

Maddy

Last edited:
I have occasional aches and pains in my feet, that come and go, usually around the change of seasons from skiing to hiking and running. But reading this thread makes me realize I should never, ever complain again about a minor foot pain! I'm grateful my feet are as "OK" as they are. Good luck to all in finding relief!

A few thoughts:
1) For price, I've found that Timberland makes a decent boot. However, I would hardly classify them as "light" - they are a bit heavy.
2) Vasque boots have narrow ankles. I used Vasque for the last 4 years - they make a decent boot, but the ankle might be too high for you. Vasque is releasing a new boot design this year (Breeze GTX 2.0), so you can pick up a new pair of the old design wicked cheap (I paid $140 for mine, and see them brand new now for only $75).
3) Merrills - Get them while you can. They redesigned the women's line, and I've heard many people remark that the new ones all suck.

Finally, check out OBOZ:
OBOZ has a special lacing system that keeps your heel locked into the back. They are VERY comfortable, great grip, and waterproof. I use the Oboz Traverse Mid... but they make a lower cut boot as well (its called the Traverse Low... go figure). It might be cost prohibitive for you - most of their boots are in the $160 range, but well worth it. WELL worth it.

Maddy- Your kindness is SO appreciated. I was completely kidding, but am not terribly surprised by your offer, in hindsight. The size that you wear is way too big for me, unfortunately. When I have been able to wear men's boots (and that has been rare, given that my foot is overall narrow with the exception of the toe-bed) I have never been larger than a 7. One and a half sizes larger would not be good. Too small and too big have both been VERY bad for my blister problem :(. I am thinking about what you've said about insoles, though, and I do have a decent gel insole that I hope might work in my Merrell low hikers. I think I will do a very quick hike soon in these and see what happens. Can't be any worse that what I've already tried!! :) Thank you so much again!
TCD --- You said it! I feel that way about a lot of things, so I'll take the "foot issues" I have, rather than more serious health problems.
Sardog --- Thanks for the link; I will definitely check them out!
Jamie --- I noticed that re: the Merrells. And I love them and will be looking online as well as at Reny's and other outlets that sell the "old stock". I may check out the OBOZ at some point when my budget allows for it. And I will see if I can try on a Vasque boot at some point so I can figure out what size I would be in them. Thanks for the suggestions.

So sorry to hear this. I was were keeping our fingers and paws crossed that they might work.
Keep trying different hiking shoes of all kinds. Trial and error. Eventually I have faith you will find some system that works for you. Keep us posted.