A Fond Farewell To The Whites

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Many thanks to all of you for your kind remarks. I remember well the chance meetup and hike with Jazzbo. It was as a result of that hike that he sponsored me into Views. From that point on I could do more than just give a trail report under the name of Ed and Duffy the Airedale as I had for several years.

Thanks also to John (Sobetzer) and Pepper who is not a member here but who has exchanged many kind E-mails with me over the last couple of years. Pepper, of course, is our only canine grid finisher and John and I share a mutual love for our dogs.
We met only once. It was at Larissa's grid finish at the Lafayette trail head. I knew John and Pepper who had just finished their grid the day before would be there so we drove over to meet them. Really glad we got the chance. He just sent me this picture.

IMG_3166resized-1_zpsc6f4f180.jpg

Best wishes Ed and Lauky. North Carolina has great hiking so new adventures await. I'll miss your trip reports and wisdom on VFTT but I suspect you'll still be making your thoughts known from afar.

Bon voyage Ed'n Lauky! Yes, do keep us up-to-date with TRs from the top of North Carolina and other points south.

Best wishes down south. We never met although for years I thought I knew you both here from your trip reports and posts. Remember VFTT are not sticklers for Northeast based trip reports and keep us updated on your GA, NC and TN hiking trips.

I hope you two continue to share new peaks and trails for many years to come. The Whites will miss you but the South is lucky to have such a nice person on the trails.

May you find adventure wherever you end up :)

Z

Ed very nice to meet you and Lauky finally on the Pine Bend Brook Trail a couple of winters ago, and I echo all who have posted before...your input and knowledge has been invaluable...wonder how hiking in Georgia is in January??? Lefty E

I wish you the bst of luck in Georgia. I am glad to have met you and Lauke last year on Cardigan even if it was just in passing. I'll miss your TRs and canine discussion.

Best of luck! Cheryl and I were glad to have had the opportunity to meet you and Lauky at this years AMC awards. Happy hiking!

Ed, i live in N Fla and drive up to Carolinas to hike quite a bit. Can exchange emails and carpool if u like. Then we can hike the Carolinas whilst talking about the Whites, lol. Gristo

Dear Ed-Seems a shame to lose two little hiking dogs from the Whites this spring, but thankfully you and Lauky will continue your adventures. We hope they are long and wonderful! please stay in touch with us here, we will certainly miss you both!

K&J

the 4K awards will not be the same without Lauky to entertain everyone.

Tim

This year, my wife and I played ball with Lauky outside while Ed chatted with people. He was more than willing to let you know when you should toss the ball again. I've run into the two of you on the trail once between the Twins. I didn't introduce myself (wasn't really on the forums yet), but we had a very brief hello.

You know, there is a trail from Georgia that leads to the Whites. Everything is connected. :)

Good Luck and thanks for the years of nice well done trip reports.
Maybe you can get back and visit again on Belknap. We will all miss you both.
Hal

One thing which may be helpful, Ed: Whiteblaze.net, in case you haven't checked it out, has many members with a wealth of good information on the southern Appalachians. You don't need a sponsor to join, and there's a lot to be learned and shared there. Quite few Views ppl there, most with the same handle - I'm Driver8 there, too.

PS: There isn't yet as well organized a "dog caucus" at WB as at Views, so you could be instrumental in organizing it, as you have been here.

Last edited:
Best of luck to you and Lauky on your new journey to the south. We always enjoyed your reports and pictures. It's unfortunate that you have to leave the NH/ME; but I am sure you'll find plenty of fine hiking "down south".

Donna:)

One thing which may be helpful, Ed: Whiteblaze.net, in case you haven't checked it out, has many members with a wealth of good information on the southern Appalachians. You don't need a sponsor to join, and there's a lot to be learned and shared there. Quite few Views ppl there, most with the same handle - I'm Driver8 there, too.

PS: There isn't yet as well organized a "dog caucus" at WB as at Views, so you could be instrumental in organizing it, as you have been here.

Thanks for that info, that's helpful. Sounds like they need some canine help down there. Always willing to oblige.