Save the Date, 2013 ADK BBQ!!!

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Who is this TJ Person, and what did you do with Spencer? :p :rolleyes:

The elusive teejay would like to assure you that Spencer was not harmed.

Fact is, I e-spoke to him a few days ago and he is really busy. I offered to go ahead and set up the BBQ this year. He's fine with that. Right now it looks like this year's version will be pretty much like in the last few years.

teejay

ADK Slides

The ADK summer BBQ and gathering is coming up. For those who dislike the ADK mud there are tons of excellent slides in the ADKs and they range from easy to life threatening. :D

A few days ago we did the Bennies Brook Slide , which was growing in with slippery moss when Irene came along and flossed it out, from summit to valley.

Pictures.

A few minutes from Marcy Dam there's the new "Wright Angle" slide which has an interesting exit via an exposed rocky ridge.
Pictures.

Last but not least there's the Kilburn Slide, which is easy to get to and which you go up then back down. The steep headwall is optional.
Pictures start here.

Consolidated 2 threads, both on the Adirondack BBQ that has been a long running event. You're really missing a good gathering if you don't make this one. Usually hikes of all sorts and some paddling trips. Lots of good food, beverages and conversation.

Last edited:
Is there a location yet? I'm actually up there that weekend. Not sure what kind of hiking I'll be up for but grub and sharing adult beverages is always nice.

What # gathering is this? 10? Seems like I remember walking into a field of tents and beverages early one morning years ago.

David, you might try inquiring here about paddling. VFTT has a paddling subforum. You might want to post there and on this thread to see if some people might bring their boats to the BBQ weekend.

Thanks Alan, Hopefully I can work things out and get up there at that time and bring up a boat. I just went paddling last weekend in Lake Champlain. We started in Otter Creek VT and crossed the lake and camped out on the NY side. Lot's of fun, I'll wait for others to make some suggestions but look at maps before that.

Time to get things rolling for this year's BBQ. August 16-18, back at Magic Pines in Lewis, NY. If you haven't been before, here's a rough schedule of what we've done in the past.

I'll probably plan on being up there a day or two early but most people will arrive on Friday. In past years, many of us have headed out to dinner. Last year, with a real restaurant right at the campground, we ate there and it was very good (and 20 miles or so closer). The restaurant this year is being run by new people but the campground told me that they are very good. Ali-Jacks There are even a couple of reviews. Then a few hours around the fire catching up on everything since last year.

Saturday is the big hiking day. Start making your plans. The campground is not the closest to the major High Peaks, so plan accordingly. Or you might want to take in a local peak like Poke-O-Moonshine. It's a real gem with a firetower. Or, a little farther away, Lyon Mt, another firetower peak. Saturday night has traditionally been a pot luck get-together at the campground.

Sunday, breakfast at the campground or on your own, then another hike or the long ride home.

teejay

The campground is not the closest to the major High Peaks, so plan accordingly.

Just to get an idea I did a Google Map route from the campground to Lake Placid: 45 minutes. To Keene valley : 26 minutes.

Right from from the town of Lewis you can drive west up Well's road (AKA Spruce Mill Brook Rd.) into the heart of the Jay Mountain/ Hurricane Mt. Areas. The distance you can drive will depend upon your vehicle's clearance. There's a lot of open woods bushwhacking to some peaks with spectacular views.

FYI, as of a few weeks ago I was able to drive all the way to the top of Wells Hill Rd. with a stock Subaru Forester, albeit very carefully (getting out of the car a few times to scout washed out areas and make sure I had enough clearance). Don't know about now after all the rain. Also note that at the time, Wells Hill Rd. bridge over Spruce Mill Brook was out; had to go around on Goff Rd. and Carlott Rd. to access upper Wells Hill Rd.

Other interesting attractions in the area include Seventy Mountain, Mount Fay, the old missile silo on Hale Hill Rd. (I believe tours are available, but at quite a high fee), and of course the firetowers on Hurrricane and Belfry. Not to mention lots of great eateries... :)

We used to have rotating gatherings all over but they died out due to lack of interest. The last one had six attendees despite nice weather. Some feedback on why the lack of interest was that with Labor day weekend, Flags on the 48 soon after and a VFTT gathering a week or two later was pushing it for most. The flags folks have made it quite clear that they do not want to have an auxiliary events associated with flags so its tough to pick a date unless its pushed into October to avoid the inevitable deluge that occurs around leaf season. By then many campgrounds are closed so the options are limited.

Time to get things rolling for this year's BBQ. August 16-18, back at Magic Pines in Lewis, NY. If you haven't been before, here's a rough schedule of what we've done in the past.
Never having been there, perhaps you can clue me and others in on a few things?

* What is the fee in the group area per person/tent/car?

* Need we reserve in advance or just show up and pay?

* Will Spence be able to attend?

This has been the Adirondacks gathering for a long time and don't feel it should be moved. People from NY, NJ, MA, CT and other New England people attend. Having gatherings in different parts of New England is a good idea but this annual event shouldn't be sacrificed to that end.

I was sorry to see the rotating gatherings disappear. Not too long ago Tim and I threw out having some state oriented hikes and maybe some gatherings around them. No one seemed interested in taking on the organizational part of any.