Owl's Head for my 48th, not really by choice!!

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marysgirl

Reaction score
I went into Lincoln woods on Sunday the 27th of May to get my 47th 4,000 footer, Owls Head. I had missed the trail up on my first try, I went with another first timer and apparently we walked by it at least two times. We bushwhacked our way up thru the woods and had to turn around at 3400 feet because of cliffs and thick spruce. This time I went with someone who had been there before, we had to get it, I had made plans with friends to go to Moriah for #48 on Monday....it took quite a bit of shifting, but I got everyone to go with me for my 48th!! I was so excited to get #48 and knew I couldn't miss #47 being that I was with someone who had done it before. We went in, despite the water levels (it had rained the entire week before), we made the water crossings very carefully, we were in. Now where is the damn trailhead to go up the mountain? There were three birch branches set up as a tripod so we thought this must be it and we started to climb rocks with a small stream running over them. We realized pretty quickly that it wasn't the trail but kept going because it seemed pretty clear and easy to climb and we figured if we headed northeast we would at some point hit the trail, problem was that we had already passed the trail by maybe 25 feet at the bottom. We made it to 3,600 feet before we had to turn back. It was snowing when we were walking flat on trails, but as we started to climb the snow turned to rain and we were soaked, the rocks were getting slippery and the spruce was getting thick. We got ourselves into the same mess that me and my friend Scott had gotten ourselves into months earlier! I couldn't believe it was happening again! When we reached the bottom I needed to change my top I was shivering and needed to get dry. Jay was polite and gave me space, he took a little walk and guess what he found? Yup, the trail! But I had no more dry clothes and it was getting late so we left, I was so sad walking out of there!! So, Memorial day and Moriah was my 47th and not my 48th, but my friends, most of them, still took the hike with me and we tried to eat and celebrate at the top but it was sooooooo cold!! On June 1st Jay and Scott and I went into Lincoln Woods for my 48th, this time I was certain where the trail was and there was no way I wasn't going to get it!! Black pond and the whack was very wet, but doable, the black flies and misquitos were relentless. The trails are in good shape all the way out, the water crossing was a joy compared to the week before! Believe it or not there is now no tripod, but if you look to the right, about 2 tenths of a mile after the last crossing and the water is now on your left, there are rocks, sort of a cairn (we piled them back up) and the trail is a little indent of flattened rocks heading east, if you follow it you go first into the woods, then out of the woods and onto an open slide. It was a beautiful day, very warm. The top is a mess of down trees and there are several trails around them and it seems a managerie of paths but if you keep heading north eventually you find the large cairn!! I did it!! I ended on Owl's Head!! Not what I planned but I did it!! And I cried like a girl! On the way down we met several people who were heading up to bag thier "peak", but not their 48th!! No, I was the only, and I was telling everyone that it was my 48! Whether they wanted to know or not!! Even the waitress at the restaurant and the guy at the gas station and everyone at work and..... Well, and all of you!!
So in January of 2007 my mom, Mary, passed away from Alzheimer's, I knew she was heading up to heaven and I missed her so I wanted to get closer, I started climbing Greylock in Western Mass to be closer to her. I climbed it almost every weekend for years until someone told me about the White Mountain 48 four thousand footers. I wish she was here so I could see her reaction....but she knows, and as Wilson70 said I think she would be proud!! Love you mom!!

Last edited:
Awesome report Deb, glad to have made your 48th, twice.. ;) Here are some pictures from the event, been waiting for the report to show up..

https://picasaweb.google.com/104827043392670889977/20130601OwlSHead

Of course, celebration happened before the rain hit Lincoln and also ice cream was had at Udderly Delicious so all is well.

Congratulations! A nice dip at the swinging bridge on the way back also felt great!

Jay

That must have been awful having to turn back not once, but twice without finding the correct route up! A guy I used to work with had the exact same thing happen to him so for years this hike had always scared me to attempt it. I always wanted to try and hitch on with someone or a group that had done it before. But 2 years ago when I did attempt it, I had no issues at all finding the way up. At that time, there were broken down trees that people lined on each side of that side trail so it was kind of obvious and I was laughing at myself for worrying so much over nothing. But apparently there is still reason to worry and people do still get rid of such obvious markings. It's kind of too bad. I think there should be at least some sort of sign there. But in any event, great job finishing up! Always great to hear how people finish... I have 3 peaks left which will be 2 more hikes so I am closing in on that glory also! Thanks for the interesting story though... I couldn't imagine having to do Owls Head 3 different times before bagging it! Kudos to you for your determination!

Shamples, when you plan your 48th let me know. If I can I will join you if you want an extra person?

Shamples, when you plan your 48th let me know. If I can I will join you if you want an extra person?

Hi Marysgirl and Shamples,

I too am nearing the end of my all season 48. It's hard to believe that I am so close after starting more or less on a whim this past August. What do you have left Shamples? Maybe we can help each other bag a few more.

Be well,

Z:D

Congrats, Deb, and thanks for a compelling report. I hike, in part, with my departed mom in mind, too. :) You picked a great mountain to start with - Greylock is one of my favorite places. I hope to hike the Bellows Pipe area soon. I just had a rejuvenating hike yesterday in SW MA/NW Connecticut, taking in Sages Ravine and the roaring Bear Rock Falls, swollen from the rains. It is an awesome thing to get out on a hike in a beautiful, beloved place. Congratulations again!

Congrats, Deb, and thanks for a compelling report. I hike, in part, with my departed mom in mind, too. :) You picked a great mountain to start with - Greylock is one of my favorite places. I hope to hike the Bellows Pipe area soon. I just had a rejuvenating hike yesterday in SW MA/NW Connecticut, taking in Sages Ravine and the roaring Bear Rock Falls, swollen from the rains. It is an awesome thing to get out on a hike in a beautiful, beloved place. Congratulations again!

If you are around here we have to get together and go up north!! I was just looking up the 5 four thousand footers in Vermont, I have my eye on them and the hundred highest list now!! A few friends were thinking of going to Greylock the weekend after next.....we were going to go up the West side for a change. Also next Sunday we were thinking of going up to Charlemont and taking our river tubes down the Deerfield! If you are interested in car pooling or meeting at Greylock send me a PM!! And keep your mom in your heart and in your dreams!! I always do!

Congrats on 48 Deb! Your not alone in those that have turned back on Owlie! My first time out was a solo backpack on a New Years Eve weekend and the going up the slide was so tough I made it to 3300 feet and retreated to camp. I have now been out there so many times by different routes that it's all familiar to me and feels like cheating the map! You were in good company if your finish had Jay along! I'm sure you had a great tiime finishing and Owlie aint so bad a place to close a chapter and start another!

Congrats on 48 Deb! Your not alone in those that have turned back on Owlie! My first time out was a solo backpack on a New Years Eve weekend and the going up the slide was so tough I made it to 3300 feet and retreated to camp. I have now been out there so many times by different routes that it's all familiar to me and feels like cheating the map! You were in good company if your finish had Jay along! I'm sure you had a great tiime finishing and Owlie aint so bad a place to close a chapter and start another!

Well Dave, I didn't bring my propane grill and have steaks on the summit either :) :) Haha A fun time was had on the way up and on the way down. I don't think Deb could of stopped smiling!

Jay

Congratulations !

OMG re: that second attempt. Ugh...would've drove me nuts (been there-done that).

Now I'll be thinking about this until I get Owl's Head.