Presidential Traverse

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blueblaze

Reaction score
Im looking at doing either a Presi Traverse or a Pemi Loop one day between the 19-22 of June (next week weather depending) They have been on my bucket list and I need a break from the adventure races. Im putting some plans together now and wanted to open it up to anyone that might be interested. Ill be staying up in the Twin Mountain area for the week (leaving Manchester Tues morning) I know my hike pace is better than book time but also want to enjoy the trip. Let me know if anyone is interested.:)

Also I was wondering if anyone had done a Pemi loop and started on North Twin Tr and headed clock wise back to Haystack rd via North Twin Trail. Pros/cons? Thoughts?

Last edited:
A one-day pemi loop isn't really about enjoying the trip. "Better than book time" still means you're on your feet for fifteen to twenty hours. A presi traverse is a little more reasonable, with a book time (Madison to Pierce) of fourteen hours.

Starting and ending the pemi loop anywhere other than Lincoln Woods means adding about three thousand feet of vertical gain plus that much descent. For example: go up north twin, ride the ridge to Bondcliff, drop down Bondcliff, go up Osseo, ride the ridge to north twin, drop down north twin. Compared to: up osseo, ride the ridge all the way, down bondcliff. Folks have done crazier things (like a bushwhack over Owl's Head in the middle of the loop) but it might not be a great choice for your first pemi loop.

Last edited:
Thoughts: I'm not sure that I would want to ascend N. Twin, descend off Bondcliff to the Wilderness Trail, and then ascend back up on the Osseo to Flume. Once I'm up on a ridge, I like to stay up! And the section of the N. Twin trail between the river and N. Twin isn't one of my favorites either.

But it's your hike!

More along the lines of fifteen to twenty. All I do is run trails. Id like to sort of enjoy it. Ive already run a few Ultras. The reason I was contemplating Starting up North Twin was I was possibly staying on Haystack Rd making it easier to hop right on trail in the middle of the night. Id like to be on the bonds by sunrise. Obviously weather permitting.

I also forgot about that river before North Twin. It was pretty high when we crossed it last year on the N Twin S Twin Galehead and Garfield trip

Might be better off to start up Gale River trail instead, since it's hits the loop much sooner, with much less elevation, and avoids adding any difficult crossings. Also the risk of storms might affect when you want to go across the FRT (earlier vs. later, clockwise vs. counter clockwise). Either way, have fun!