Bigelows Backpack - 6/15-6/16/13

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mtruman

Reaction score
Last weekend we did a two day east to west traverse over the Bigelow Range (Round Barn to Stratton with a night at Horns Pond). Such an incredibly beautiful place - and an amazing example of what a difference a day makes! This one was #59 and 60 of the NE67 for Nat and I - 7 more peaks in Maine to go. Can't wait to hit the rest!

Here's the whole story and pics on the blog: http://theramblingsblog.blogspot.com/2013/06/backpacking-bigelows.html

And a taste of the amazing views...

Incredible field of Lupines along Rt 27
P6140361.JPG

Carrabassett Valley Sunset
P6140365.JPG

The view from Avery Peak
P6150410.JPG

Looks like a great trip. This area holds a special place in my heart since I grew up camping almost every weekend at Round Barn and along the Dead River. Great photos. It's a beautiful area of Maine.

Bigelow Range is a fantastic ridge. We hiked it as a dayhike loop several years ago using Horns Pond and Firewardens Trail. Had hoped to revisit in a couple weeks using the new Maine Huts and Trails' Stratton Brook Hut as a basecamp but there is no connector trail, at this time, making that more feasible without hiking out and driving to the trailhead or bushwhacking. I'll look into the feasibliltiy of a bushwhack to that loop when we're up there. The hut's a terrific way to end a hike like that ... good food and wine and beer license, too.

Great pics! The westernmost section of the ridge that crosses Cranberry Peak after the AT split is one of my favorite places to hike in Maine, well worth checking out on a return trip.

Thanks all.

Maineman - I agree with your assessment of the the route over Cranberry Peak. It would have been one of our favorite parts of the hike this time too if the bugs hadn't chase us all the way across :eek:. We'll definitely get back there again - hopefully in winter...

Mark,
What a trip! I don't think I have ever seen so many beautiful lupines in one place. Great job on the pictures. Hiking the Bigelows takes me back almost 20 years since we were there. It is one of the finest spots in Maine.

Donna:)