Bruised or Broken Rib

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

erugs

Reaction score
How many of you have taken a tumble and then experienced what might be a bruised or cracked rib? What did it feel like and what did you do about it? I fell suddenly (I guess most falls are sudden) and had hoped to outrun it but didn't and landed, of all places on a city sidewalk (was walking to the gym). My cell phone was in my pocket and since it has a broken screen I think that is what jammed up against my ribs. Coughing, sudden moves hurt. It wouldn't hurt to call my doctor but I'm just wondering what others have done.

I had a bruised rib area couple years ago after a slip on an icy sidewalk. In my case, it was sore and tender, a dull ache, for a few days and resolved. I hope that's all you're dealing with. If the pain happens to be sharper, I'd be more concerned.

I've had a couple of friends with bruised cracked ribs. There isn't a lot to do, but if it's impeding your breathing you probably want to talk with your doctor. I'd suggest calling them either way.

I think I've had minor rib dislocations a few times. When taking a deep breath or twisting, there would be a sharp pain on one side. Continuing to twist around while taking deep breaths has always popped the rib back into place.

I have cracked a rib twice--both times from a forward flat fall while XC skiing with a pack on my back. In both cases, I just got up and continued skiing. The pain only appeared after a day or two. Then it was 6-8 weeks of no laughing, coughing, or sleeping on that side (all painful).

Treatment: a single broken rib is usually splinted by the other ribs and no treatment other than not stressing it for 6-8 weeks is needed. However, if a broken end gets loose, it can puncture a lung (ie it is worth getting it checked out just to make sure that there is no serious problem). Multiple broken ribs can be immediately life threatening because it interferes with breathing (flail chest).

Doug

I've broken several through the years (one at a time, fortunately - the trouble is exponential if you break more than one). Good idea to see the doc just to rule out anything serious. Bruised vs. Broken can only be promptly differentiated with an X Ray, but they may not do one, becasue there is no treatment for an isolated bruised or broken rib other than to wait for it to get better. Bruised will take a few days, as pointed out above. Broken will hurt more sharply and take longer (weeks vs. days) to get better, although the worst is usually over in the first two weeks.

I can tell you one thing - if it's broken, DON'T sneeze! That's the only time I ever felt #10 pain... :)

On two separate occasions I had rib injuries. The first time I knew it wasn't serious, even as painful as it was, and after a week of rest ... which is all you can do with that pain, it healed ok.

The second time was a result of being sideswiped by a car. Because of the situation, x-rays were in order. Though they showed fractures, the good thing was the lungs were not impacted. The same therapy was in order ... rest ... as you can't splint ribs. You can try your favorite painkiller, or get a prescription, avoid coughing, laughing and sneezing and wait it out.

Well, Ellen, at least you'll have something to do while you wait this out ... waiting for your new cell phone to get programmed. That will probably equal the pain and help you forget about the rib! Tequila also works and you don't need any other meds.

Just happened to me a few months ago. I tripped on something, fell forward and landed on my left elbow which was under me. At first I thought I might have broken my forearm but pain near the rib where my elbow had been under me continued much longer. I had an x-ray and one radiologist didn't see the break but another did. (The angle of the picture wasn't the best.) As others have said, there's not much you can do to treat it as long as the broken bone end doesn't punture a lung. In my case, the break was only partial so there was no threat to my lung.

For me it was just a matter of "grin and bear it." The first time I sneezed I feared the worst but it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. The things that hurt the most were bending, twisting and getting out of bed.

teejay

If you're wondering what you have, you probably don't have multiple broken ribs. As long as you can breathe (gently) and you aren't showing other symptoms (weak pulse, huge swelling, bloody cough), the only difference between a bruise, sprain (lower ribs are mostly cartilage in front), or broken rib is how long it will take to heal. You can apply some tape to the skin above the injury, this will do very little to immobilize the rib but will help remind you not to, say, leap up out of your chair.

I had an x-ray and one radiologist didn't see the break but another did. (The angle of the picture wasn't the best.)
If the bone is just fractured but still in place, the break isn't likely to show on an X-ray. However, if you wait a week or so for the X-ray, the healing new bone tissue is likely to show up...

Doug

I did that a couple months ago, hit the ground. When I got up I felt pain, but continued on working. Shortly after, it hurt to breathe until I stretched the side I fell on, sleeping was tough. I was getting concern, but knew a couple of nurses, so I talked to them. They said judging for how I looked and my symptoms that it sound more like a bruised rib. I took their word and within a couple weeks, I started to feel better. They too said there is not much that can be done for it and if it was broken, I'd be in a lot worse shape.

Thanks for the comments and encouragement friends. I finally went to see my primary because so many people in my life wanted me to. She and I decided I didn't need to do the X-ray, she was comfortable enough listening to my lungs and heart and I decided to save the insurance company some money. Getting out of bed in the morning after the ibuprofen has worn off is the most difficult part of my day, but I do know that life will get a little easier. I might not do some of the more challenging hikes I had planned for a bit longer. Was so looking forward to Mahoosuc Notch! And I think I'll hold off a bit on kayaking and bicycling. Weight gain, here I come! But as Stan suggested, I will get practice using and programming my new semi-smart phone.

Broke ribs twice after a fall- once when skiing when I was 28, once when I fell running (don't ask) when I was 46. Both times it took exactly 36 days to heal. Till then, no running, sneeze with your mouth open (it can be done!) and don't get a cold, no matter what. But I could cycle, and I could ski trails that I was guaranteed not to fall on (again, don't ask).

Difference between bruised and broken in my book is that when you break one you usually hear a distinct crack, and bruised ribs are back to normal in 2 weeks.

I almost posted the same question in January. I caught my snowshoe on some crust coming off Mt. Jackson's cone and landed hard on my side. I could not touch my ribs for a month, any pressure was very pain full. I could also not sleep on my left side for about 2 months. I now can sleep on my side, but even now if I push with my fingers into my ribs, I can feel a little pain. I never went to the doctor's because, one I rarely do and two, I do not believe there is much they can do.