Highwater Trail vs. Wild River Trail

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

madmattd

Reaction score
Specifically looking at the stretch between the bridge near the Moriah Brook Trail (not the one that is closed at the North end of Highwater) and the junctions with the Black Angel Trail. The book makes mention of several crossings, a couple on each trail, that could be tricky in this ~2.5-mile stretch. I will be carrying an overnight pack, and starting from the Wild River C.G. heading up towards the Carters/Moriah so either trail works fine for me. I am leaning towards taking the Highwater Trail as it sounds like the worst crossing on the 2 trails is the one on Black Angel between Highwater and Wild River, but if people here have experience with these 2 trail segments and can recommend one way vs. the other I'd appreciate it. At least this week hasn't been raining every day like last week...

I've hiked both. The most significant crossing is of the Wild River itself where the Spider Bridge used to be. By taking the Highwater Trail you will avoid that. The crossings along the HT are a little more challenging than the other crossings along the WRT, but none should be a major issue unless we get another big dump of rain.

The HT is somewhat harder than the WRT...it has more ups and downs than you might gather from the map, while the WRT is quite flat. However, the WRT has a number of serious washouts and a couple of rough little relocations around washouts due to Irene. I haven't hiked the HT since Irene so I can't speak to recent damage on that trail. I think the HT is overall more scenic and much less lightly used than the WRT.
-vegematic

The Wild River Trail is an old railroad grade and generally easier walking than the Highwater Trail, as mentioned the Wild River itself at the former Spider Bridge is the worst crossing

Thanks. That basically confirms my suspicions based on what I read in the WMG. I don't mind a few short ups/downs if it means I avoid the trickiest water crossing with a heavy pack. I'll probably take the Highwater when I get around to doing this (was going to be this weekend, but I may have to push it off).

IMO the Cypress Brook crossing on the Highwater trail is tougher than Wild River crossing at the Spider Bridge site.

I know all water crossing are exciting after a rain but the Wild River drainage seems worse (like the Dry River drainage), you really do not want to be in there if a storm is in the forecast.

Not sure what your itinerary is but the Moriah Brook Trail is one of the most beautiful I've hiked in over 900 miles of redlining, if it fits your trip I highly recommend it

Not sure what your itinerary is but the Moriah Brook Trail is one of the most beautiful I've hiked in over 900 miles of redlining, if it fits your trip I highly recommend it

I intend to hike that trail someday for sure. This trip was to be an overnight at Imp, looping using Black Angel, Carter-Moriah, and Shelburne (minus the stream ford). Had to delay it though :(

Last summer there was a considerable stretch of washout on the Wild River trail. If memory serves me right it's about 3 miles from the campground to Black Angel and the middle section is where the washout is. I don't know if it has been repaired. Something to keep in mind. :)

The bridge up at the start is being replaced, I think I posted elsewhere here about it. After a storm the Wild River area is indeed wild. I concur about the Cypress Brook crossing being as bad as the Wild itself, meaning that with Spider Bridge gone you can indeed get stuck in there.

Matt, in 2011 I did this loop you are thinking of. Marlie and I headed in along the Wild River Tr and were able to rock hop all of the crossings except for the last one at the end of the Shelburn Tr. This required stepping in an inch or so of water onto a submerged rock, not enough to get my feet wet. The USGS gage in Gilead was at 65 cfs. If it were much higher things would have been different.