Monadnock-Sunapee Greenway from Monadnock to Nelson Center

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JustBob

Reaction score
I hiked the Monadnock Sunapee Greenway from Monadnock to Nelson June 19-20. It was supposed to be a longer trip but my hip didn't cooperate.

Started up White Dot which maybe was a bad idea with four days of food but a little girl on the way down told me it was the fastest way up. As usual, lots of school groups. Great day on top. The Greenway starts on top and I took the Dublin trail down. The lower section is really cool with stone walls and streams. After that the Greenway became overgrown and bit harder to follow. Pretty easy walking all the way to Spiltoir shelter.

You do need a map, especially at the road crossings places where the trail follows a road. There also some pretty quick turns.

Spiltoir Shelter and the area around are pretty nice. Saw a bunch of bear sign between the shelter and Nelson Center. This section is really pleasant. A lot of it is on roads. You also pass through some pretty nice neighborhoods.

To finish the trip off, I managed to set off the burglar alarm at the church in Nelson Center. Fortunately Nelson is a pretty laid-back place, and the custodian, rather than the police, arrived.

All in all a good but too short trip.