Stairs Above the Clouds - Mt Crawford and Stairs Backpack - 6/22/13

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mtruman

Reaction score
What better way to start working on the rest of our 52WAV list than a backpack up Crawford and Stairs with an overnight on the Stairs ledges. This is really an amazing spot and I almost hate to share it for fear that it gets more popular. :rolleyes: Our daughter Jamie decided that she wanted to backpack with us while she was home from college this summer and we couldn't pass up that opportunity! This was definitely the perfect trip. There were even a couple of interesting lessons to be learned along the way...

The story and all the pics are here on the blog: http://theramblingsblog.blogspot.com/2013/06/stairs-above-clouds.html

and just a couple of the amazing views...

Views from Mt Crawford
P6220551.JPG

Arrow shows our campsite destination on Stairs
P6220553.JPG

Jamie enjoying our campsite above the clouds
P6220588.JPG

sweet campsite! did you find any other water closer to camp? does the old res. shelter water look reliable?

Last edited:
sweet campsite! did you find any other water closer to camp? does the old res. shelter water look reliable?

There was definitely no water past Resolution (even after the rain on Saturday night). The water source near the old shelter did look reliable (seems to be from a spring) but not sure if it would hold up in a drought. Perhaps someone else has more experience with it. Since shelters tend to get built near reliable water it presumably was at least then, but that's a long time ago...

In years past I've hiked a looonngg way down the stream to find a spot deep enough to filter from, but I did eventually find some, despite being a "low water" season.

On another trip, I ended up hiking down the Stairs Col Trail about 0.3 to where a stream crosses the trail. What a magical area!

thank you mtruman & maineman, it's all about the water! enjoying your quick backpack tr's mtruman, hope you get some more in this summer/fall! you would love the grafton loop backpack!

Last edited:
Great photos. I've stood on that ledge but never camped there! I wish my daughter would do some backpacking with me. =)

Mark,
You guys are getting in some great weekends. Fantastic views from there. That's an area we've not explored - Stairs, Resolution Parker. Hope to one day. Good to see Jamie enjoying the mountains again.

Donna :)