Best Route For Isolation

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DayTrip

Reaction score
My list of the 48 is winding down to 6 peaks, one of which is Isolation. Curious which way most people go to do this peak. The NETC site looks like it's 50/50 either by Glen Boulder Trail or Rocky Branch (although this seems more like the preferred winter route based on dates). I like the idea of Glen Boulder because of the length of views above tree line (Boot Spur on the next ridge is one of my favorite trails and I have never done the Slide Peak ridge, Glen Boulder, etc) but I'm not keen on climbing up over 5000' to drop down to 4,000' and then climb back out. On the other hand, the Rocky Branch Trail/Isolation Trail sounds like it is hard to follow, has some rough river crossings and really has nothing to look at except the actual summit. Anyone want to weigh in? I'll be doing as a day hike with a 3 1/2 hour drive one way so if one is quicker than the other that is a factor too.

Appreciate anyone's thoughts. I guess the condition/footing of the Davis Path between Boot Spur and Isolation will be a key factor in decision. Leaning toward the Glen Boulder Trail.

Ammo Ravine Tr and Camel Tr is another route. A bit longer, but very nice on a clear day.

Because I have missed Monroe when hiking its neighbors, I am considering combining it and Isolation with a hut stay and possible other explorations in the area - Alpine Garden, Monroe Lawn, etc. Might wait 'til next June, we'll see.

Ammo Ravine Tr and Camel Tr is another route. A bit longer, but very nice on a clear day.
Because I have missed Monroe when hiking its neighbors, I am considering combining it and Isolation with a hut stay and possible other explorations in the area - Alpine Garden, Monroe Lawn, etc. Might wait 'til next June, we'll see.
I did it as a day trip including a side trip to Monroe. If you are feeling energetic, you might also be able to hike Washington and/or Jefferson. (Ammo Tr is a shorter drive for me than the Rte 16 trailheads so the reduced driving time partially offset the increased hiking time.)

Staying at Lakes would certainly open other possibilities...

Doug

Last edited:
I did it as a day trip including a side trip to Monroe. If you are feeling energetic, you might also be able to hike Washington and/or Jefferson. (Ammo Tr is a shorter drive for me than the Rte 16 trailheads so the reduced driving time partially offset the increased hiking time.)

Staying at Lakes would certainly open other possibilities...

Doug

I'm not in world class condition yet, so I see a Monroe/Hut Day/Night 1, then an out to Iso and back Day 2, with a possible second night at the hut, &c. ...

Personally I prefer going in Glen Boulder and out Rocky Branch. The road walk back to Glen Boulder is 45 minutes (uphill, sorry) but you get to see both trails this way.

If you can spot a car (or don't mind walking or hitching) The Glen Boulder in and Rocky Branch out is the best route in the summer. Isolation is definitely a potentially easier hike in the winter if conditions are right. One major caveat given the current forecast is that unless you want to bushwhack the Engine Hill winter route, Rocky Branch heading out to RT 16 has several stream crossings that could be an issue in wet weather. There is also a stretch from the last crossing up engine hill where the trail is the streambed.

I also liked the approach from the Dry River but unfortunately the Mt Isolation trail is closed as is the Dry River trail.

We went out and back on Rocky Branch last July and REALLY liked it. Many people seem to hate Rocky Branch and I can see that it wet conditions there would be cause for that. The conditions were great when we did it. We did it again this winter by the standard Rocky Branch + Engine Hill bushwhack and I would agree that it was easier, but not that much (very beautiful though). The Glen Boulder loop option and multi-day route from the west both have some really good things going for them as well. Lots of options...

We went in and out using Glen Blouder, it was a long day. We were given a nice undercast though. We were offered by another group to hike out Rocky Branch with them and they would give us a ride back to our vehicle. We didn't go, but did stop by the Rocky Branch trailhead, on our way home, to see if they made it. They were there, but completely soaked. That being said, the next time we do it we're going in the Rocky Branch Trail

Rocky Branch is best in winter, and the Engine Hill BW avoids the wettest portion (itself is none too dry). In its defense, there are some nice patches of asters and turtle heads in August. The Rocky Branch River has some nice pools and falls just below the final crossing.

You can also bring a bicycle and ride between the two trailheads. Since you will likely want to start at Glenn Boulder, you're going to have to ride uphill from Rocky Branch. There is a shed or something in the back of the parking area. I locked my bicycle to a tree behind it.

Tim

We did Isolation via Rocky Branch last year, skipping the Engine Hill bushwhack. It might have saved some mileage, but wouldn't have saved any time. Better when the ground is frozen. Rocky Branch was wet, but not too bad. The crossings were not a problem, but YMMV. Be careful looking for the spur trail to Isolation's summit. The sign was missing when we were there and we almost walked by it. Not sure if it is back in place.

I did both, and found Rocky Branch (in a September, which I finished on) easier. I actually found it a pretty easy hike overall.

I had a full pack going the Glen Boulder route, so that skews the results a bit.

I've gone over the top a few different ways, but to me, Rocky Branch was easiest.

I did it as part of a day hike loop starting from Pinkham Notch via Tuckerman's to Washington, down to Monroe, to Isolation and out Rocky Branch with a car spotted there on Rt. 16. It was a pretty weather day and a long day at that, but a nice triple bagger. It was generally a downhike hike from Monroe to bag a 4000 footer!

When the weather decides to put you in its favor & grace, take Glen Boulder, you won't regret it.

I enjoyed the trip when I spotted a bike at the Glen Boulder trailhead, then started hiking from RB. Hit Iso, then continued up to Boott Spur. Descended on Glen Boulder to my bike, glided down to the RB trailhead where I started.

We drove up on a Friday afternoon, left our car at the parking lot at the end of Rocky Branch, hitchhiked to Joe Dodge Lodge in Pinkham Notch, and the next day hiked up Glen Boulder and down Rocky Branch. For at least the last two miles of the hike we could hear the tequila and snacks calling from the car! Between the views, length and exposure, I don't see any reason not to hold out for a nice day to do this hike

DougPaul I hadn't even considered that option but I like the sound of it! The Ammonoosuc Ravine Trail was the first hike I ever did way back in 11th grade and I remember loving that trail. Haven't been back to it in about 25 years and I love that area of lawns South of Washington. However, I went up to Washington and down Jewell Trail. Going back down Ammonoosuc Trail is pretty difficult isn't it, especially after as long a day as heading over to Isolation? I don't remember the trail very well but I know it was pretty steep in spots. What about ledges or difficult scrambles?

Bikehikeskifish you bring up a good point too: I always forget I have a mountain bike! What about locking it up at Glen Boulder Trail, driving down to Rocky Branch to park and having a nice down hill cruise to my car at the end of the day? Is Rocky Branch Trail easier to follow going South down to Rte 16 (thus suggesting climbing up on Glen Boulder first as opposed to the other way around)?

OK seems like I have even more choices now. Most of the hikes I do are 10-14 miles so this one is a bit beyond normal for me. I have done a few in the 17-18 mile range and I'm planning on doing this hike in the next weekend or two so I should have plenty of daylight to get it done. Thanks as always for the suggestions.

Apparently I missed a whole page of posts when I replied. Looks like TDawg was thinking what I was thinking.

DougPaul I hadn't even considered that option but I like the sound of it! The Ammonoosuc Ravine Trail was the first hike I ever did way back in 11th grade and I remember loving that trail. Haven't been back to it in about 25 years and I love that area of lawns South of Washington. However, I went up to Washington and down Jewell Trail. Going back down Ammonoosuc Trail is pretty difficult isn't it, especially after as long a day as heading over to Isolation? I don't remember the trail very well but I know it was pretty steep in spots. What about ledges or difficult scrambles?

I went up Ammo once last year, in May, and down it twice, in May and June. Yes, it's quite rugged to descend after a long day. And there are a few difficult ledges, particularly at one of the bigger crossings at about 4250' and about 0.1 below the hut, and a few other tricky spots.