Best Route For Isolation

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
DougPaul I hadn't even considered that option but I like the sound of it! The Ammonoosuc Ravine Trail was the first hike I ever did way back in 11th grade and I remember loving that trail. Haven't been back to it in about 25 years and I love that area of lawns South of Washington. However, I went up to Washington and down Jewell Trail. Going back down Ammonoosuc Trail is pretty difficult isn't it, especially after as long a day as heading over to Isolation? I don't remember the trail very well but I know it was pretty steep in spots. What about ledges or difficult scrambles?
That is the way that I did it... (10 yrs ago).

I did it from the hiker lot and added the side trip to Monroe--17mi and 5700 vert ft round-trip. I don't recall any difficulties on the way down. It was a nice enjoyable hike--definitely recommended on a nice day.

When I looked back to Monroe from Isolation I was impressed by the distance... :)

Doug

How come Davis Path from 302 isn't getting any love here? It allows you to hit Crawford, Stairs, and Davis peaks on the way. From there you can go out via Glen Boulder or Rocky Branch. This would require a car drop though (or a long bike ride!). I did an out and back via Davis years ago. It's fairly wilderness-y past stairs, but it is interesting. You'll get more solitude for sure. The Davis Path past Isolation (to Washington) was in good shape last year!

How come Davis Path from 302 isn't getting any love here? It allows you to hit Crawford, Stairs, and Davis peaks on the way. From there you can go out via Glen Boulder or Rocky Branch. This would require a car drop though (or a long bike ride!). I did an out and back via Davis years ago. It's fairly wilderness-y past stairs, but it is interesting. You'll get more solitude for sure. The Davis Path past Isolation (to Washington) was in good shape last year!

Davis Path is a great route, but long enough to make a single-day outing (esp with a long drive) somewhat impractical. I did an overnight out-and-back.If I do it again, I'll make sure to do 2 or 3 nights, so I can hit all those other peaks.

On a nice hiking day with good weather it is worth doing Glen Boulder "up" at least then out the same way or Rocky Branch. Great views and a nice above treeline section. Most times though I use a combination of bushwhacks along Engine Hill and avoid the brook "trail" and the muddy sections on western Rocky Branch and the the annoying lower isolation trail..while the woods can be wet in spots they mostly offer better and dryer footing then the recognized "trail" there and are way more enjoyable

Last edited:
On a nice hiking day with good weather it is worth doing Glen Boulder "up" least then out the same way or Rocky Branch.

Silverfox is right, have done that before too, not to be neglected is fact that the route of descending Rocky Branch helps you appreciate why you ascended Glen Boulder!

I had almost replied with the same answer, but I had noticed the OP was looking for a day hike. While your suggestion is a good one, it would be even more do-able in reverse: Up Glen Boulder and down Davis Path to 302. I have done it that way several times and it is my route of choice for patrolling the region.

Last edited:
I had almost replied with the same answer, but I had noticed the OP was looking for a day hike. While your suggestion is a good one, it would be even more do-able in reverse: Up Glen Boulder and down Davis Path to 302. I have done it that way several times and it is my route of choice for patrolling the region.

That would be smart, and fit in with my 'start as high as possible' theory. I don't think Washington counts as a true trail head though. That would be an awesome hike! Alternatively, you could sneak off and finish by the Mt. Langdon Trail too. Camping on Mt. Stairs is pretty cool though, so it is a fantastic backpack if you have the time.

I was camped in Crawford notch. Went up Dry River and out Glen Boulder. Hitched back. Great way to finish the 48.

Lots of good options here. I did Glen Boulder out & back spending the night but realized I could have hiked back the same day had I had a simple daypack. It's 12 miles, 5050 elev gain (1500 on the way back) but on a nice day the views are great and the terrain is reasonable.