Cannon & NE Cannonball via Hi-Cannon, Kinsman Ridge, and Lonesome Lake Trails - 6/27

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NH Tramper

Reaction score
Cannon & NE Cannonball via Hi-Cannon, Kinsman Ridge, and Lonesome Lake Trails - 6/27

Date of Hike: June 27, 2013

Trail Conditions: As it was last year, Hi-Cannon was really tight up high in the firs making for a narrow path (notable when the trees are wet). It was also quite eroded. It doesn't look like it's being maintained. This trail was also lightly muddy in places but not too bad. One major blowdown still exists but the path is so herded-around I'd say just leave as is now. The ladders might last a few more years but seem to be aging. Kinsman Ridge Trail was really pretty wet and muddy from the Hi-Cannon junction to the Rim Trail junction, and pretty difficult to negotiate in places without avoiding the soup. Doable but after a bit of rain it'd be impassable via rock/log hops with stepping in the water and mud. It really needs bog bridges in places. Lonesome Lake Trail was fine. A tiny bit of mud but not bad. There was one waist-high blowdown that needs attention (we went under it). The bog bridges near the lake are getting old and a bit spongy. I bet a moose would break through some of them -- and in a few years I imagine a few will no longer support hikers.

Special Equipment Used: None.

Comments: Hiked this one with my friend Lisa Rogers, whom I often go indoor climbing with in Concord. We had a pretty good day. No rain. Things started foggy -- we even had an undercast at one point -- but we ended up with sun and partly clear skies. It sure was hot and muggy. Great day, though.

Mike "Tramper" Cherim
Nottingham NH