Catskill Snow Conditions

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Daniel Eagan

Reaction score
Any update on snow in the Catskills? We're thinking of cross-country this weekend -- is North/South Lakes in good condition, or should we stick with Mountain Trails? Thanks.

I think the catskills should have enough snow on the trails. I've heard the Slide mountain area got around 18 inches of powder. Of course, they get more snow than many of other areas in the cats but still, I think there would be enough snow for BC skiing. I am headed to Frost Valley tomorrow since Mountain Trails is only open on weekends. There is a bunch of snow from the previous snowfall but unfortunately, the freezing rain from the last storm that passed through here just put a real thick layer of ice on top of 6-8 inches of powder, messing up ski conditions until the 1/22/05 storm.

I can post something if I log in tomorrow night when I get back from Frost Valley.

Jay

Daniel Eagan said:
Any update on snow in the Catskills? We're thinking of cross-country this weekend -- is North/South Lakes in good condition, or should we stick with Mountain Trails? Thanks.

I don't have actual mountain conditions, but in the Hudson valley 20-30 mile east of the mountains we have about a foot of powder. It has not been above freezing since the storm last week. There may be bare spots where the wind has blown away the snow.

I have not been up in the Catskills proper since all the good snow hit. There is still 8-10 inches of skiable powder here in the Hudson Valley just east of the mountains.

For the higher elevations of Greene County the Albany NOAA site reported 18 inches last Sunday, and another 3-4 inches Wednesday. That appears to have consolidated down to a 15 inch base at East Jewett as reported today. Both Mountain Trails in Tannersville and the free North Lake State Park should have ideal XC conditions currently. As imarchant stated there may be some windswept areas down to bare ice or ground.

I got back from Frost Valley last night and did an unbroken trail (lower Wildcat) and there was enough snow pretty much for the entire trail except for some marginal snow at the stream crossings (non bridged). One stream, I took my skis off to cross it. All the other trails I were on were groomed. It was about 11deg when I got there at 10am and there was not much wind at all there.

I did two loops, one along the tracked Neversink path to get to the Lower Wildcat and the other was on the intermediate Spring Ridge to Permeter trail with a short out and back to High Falls. I was planning on doing the Panhandle all the way out to the shelter but it was unbroken and thought I didn't have time to break trail again and make it out for checkout.

Interesting enough, they have a trail (#15 seager ext) that goes out to the Pine Hill-West Branch DEC trail. It isn't marked on DEC property but I'm thinking one could ski to the leanto on Biscuit Brook to camp.

Also, there is a marked trail that goes towards Wildcat Mountain. I presume this is the same Wildcat Mountain you can bushwack to from Denning. (east and west peak)...

Would be an interesting AT-style hike, eh?

Jay

Just got back from climbing Hunter w/ Halite and Dr. Wu. Went up Becker Hollow, hit the summit and the lower lookout and then went back on the yellow trail and the DP. We all wore snowshoes the entire hike. I'm not that good at estimating depths, but it was probably about 8-10 inches right from the get-go, and between 1 and 2 feet at higher elevations, with some drifting around 3500'. Dr. Wu said he would post a full report.

Matt