Worst bug encounters ever

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marty

Reaction score
Hi all,

A group of four of us hiked North, Middle and South Weeks in NH yesterday (June 30), as a up/back via the York Pond Trail and Kilkenny Ridge Trails. After some post-hike reflection and viewing my myriad of bite welts, I believe it was the worst insect conditions ever encountered. Bug spray was of little value and our sweat washed it away quickly due to the high humidity. The bugs we encountered included:

• Deer flies - continuously buzzing us and bit right through our shirts
  • Black flies - in ample quantities and hungry, hungry, hungry - many crawled under our shirts and shorts and bit us
  • Mosquitoes - kept at bay until sweat washed away our bug dope and then they bit frequently
  • Horse flies/moose flies - basically the same experience as the deer flies
  • House flies - kept landing on us, but not many bit us
  • Many other unrecognizable species that swarmed all around us and our packs, but did not bite

The insects followed us through most of the hike and were absolutely all over us whenever we stopped. At each of the summits, there was a loud buzzing sound that was quite maddening.

I have encountered worse black fly conditions twice, but never experienced such an onslaught from so many species.

Just wondering what your worst bug experiences were and how this past weekend went for you in that regard.

Thanks,
Marty

I was going up Glen Boulder trail late May or early June. I was covered in Deet, but managed to neglect putting anything on my ears. I had so many black fly bites on my ears, you couldn't even count them. The next morning, I looked like I'd been beaten up by Mike Tyson with two ears swollen and lumpy like cauliflower. The swelling was so bad, my ear canals were swollen shut. I'm struggling to recall an incident where I experienced such great pain over such a long period of time - those black flies are horrific.

Which is why hiking in the rain and winter is totally worth it. No bugs!

Last edited:
Here I thought I was opening a thread about the NSA. Oh well.

Bad bug encounters were the basis of having a "Bugs" field at http://www.NewEnglandTrailConditions.com - not only did I want to know the bug situation at present, but I also like the ability to go back and search on previous years for peaks/trails and avoid the mistakes made in the past!

Minimal bugs this weekend on Tecumseh.

Worst Ticks: Mt. Abram, ME (the one near Bethel)
Worst Mosquitoes: Liberty/Brook Trails on Chocorua in late spring
Worst Deer Flies: Hersey and Bald Pate (the one in Bridgton)
Worst Black Flies: Some bushwhack I've repressed
Worst Bloodsuckers: 2013 New York Yankees

6/22 - Mountain Pond Loop - off Slippery Brook Road - I only had non-deet spray. Probably would have been a very pretty loop but I spent the whole time waving in front of my eyes - couldn't see ANYTHING or stop moving!!!! Made me want to quit hiking!

Before that, maybe 5 years ago camping somewhere in the Great Gulf - bugs so bad I had to put on my rain gear to leave my tent.

What are those bugs that keep going around your head?????

On Saturday (June 29), I hiked to Stairs Mtn. by Jericho Road in Bartlett, a path between the Road and Rocky Branch that eliminates about half of the road-walk, the Rocky Branch Trail as far as you can now take it from the south (a little past RB Shelter #1), the Stairs Col Trail, Davis Path and the Stairs summit spur trail. (Jericho Road was gated about 1.7 mile before its end, where the Rocky Branch Trail begins, even though that section of the Road has been freshly graded and seemed to be in perfect shape.) The blackflies were atrocious until about the halfway point of the Stairs Col Trail, which rises steeply about there. Thereafter, hardly any bugs. Ditto on my return. I didn’t notice many mosquitoes or other types of flies.

Late yesterday afternoon, I hiked Rattlesnake Mtn. in Rumney, NH, which includes a loop over summit ledges. The blackflies were annoyingly heavy there too, but stopped as I got close to the summit.

I’ve hiked nearly every weekend since the end of April and this weekend’s blackflies were the heaviest by far. That said, they were merely a nuisance and I don’t have a single bite. The reason is my “bug-repellent” outfit, which I wear for every hike during the buggy season. It consists of long pants and a long-sleeved shirt, both synthetic and very lightweight and quick-drying, by Ex Officio, and a sun hat by OR, all three permeated with permethrin. I used no DEET or other repellent on my face or the back of my neck, which is all the skin I had exposed, and have yet to use any such repellent this year. They were swarming around my face on the Rocky Branch Trail and Jericho Road, in particular, but not biting. I think the brim of the hat may deter them. The outfit wasn’t cheap, but it makes all the difference in my ability to enjoy such hikes, so I consider the money well spent.

I was in Conway NH doing a WFR re-cert and we were outside most of the day and quite frankly I do not remember if there was a bug issue or not since my mind was focused on other things.

3 come to mind-

Years ago, when Tabletop(ADKs) was really a bushwhack not a herd path - hit the summit with good friend, Bill and the blackflies, mosquitos and deer flies were so bad we could hardly get the canister lid off to sign the register. Loud mutual shouts of ahhh, ahhh, ahhh, lets get out of here.
and
Cathedral Lakes in Yosemite - fantastic hike, views, company - we hit the lake with stunning views, open rock shelf, and the skeeters descended on us. Only slight increases in a light breeze kept them off for 5-10 seconds, the breeze would die, and the pace of chewing lunches picked up again so we could eat and get the hell out of the otherwise beautiful spot. I would imagine this is what folds who hike or paddle in Alaska or Yukon describe.

Honorable mention - after a long 'whack with Peak_bgr and Bushwacker on a hot, humid drippy day, we were on the way out and on an overgrown ADK woods road. I found myself unexpectedly ahead of them by 50'. The deer flies were descending off the overhead canopy to attack me. After an hour of this I slowed to let them catch up and asked what was up. Told I was walking point to attract the bugs and keep them off of them. They could see me walking, swatting and swearing and were enjoying that as much as the bug free part of the hike they were experiencing. I still laugh when thinking about this one.

Stepping out of a bush plane onto the runway in Talkeetna,Alaska during the middle of June after being on Big Mac for almost four weeks. Not to mention wearing a fullpiece climbing suit with Full on mountaineering boots.

Standing in the middle of a swamp in Wilton, NH early one May while in college, working for a land surveyor. I had worked there the previous summer, and during any chance I got through fall and winter. I loved the job. Out side all day, doing recon (looking at an old map on a 1,000 acre parcel trying to figure out if that is what the old farmer meant by the description "follow the bend in the brook and see the stake and stones on by the big Oak tree) walking the woods, fresh air. Great job.

Then, the day I had to stand still, while the gunner tried to snag a 400-foot shot through the thick brush while I held the stupid rod 15 feet in the air and were swarmed, absolutely swarmed...talking pounds of black flies in my eyes, ears, noise, mouth. They'd yell, I'd have to answer back, and it felt like I was chewing tobacco I would spit out so many.

I hate black flies.

I was up hiking little cherry pond in jefferson on sunday and biked to the trailhead, so that was fine since I was moving fast, but the hike to the pond was horrendous and I was surprised that the deer flies are out already. I was chewed alive by mosquitos and deer flies and wanted to give up and turn around, but just tried to walk fast since it was only a .6 mile hike. Oddly enough, once at the pond their was a breeze so they were less bothersome, instead it was a butterfly that wanted to be my friend.

Embarrassingly, my worst experience was brook trout fishing with my brother in the woods in a muddy, swampy area in the middle of nowhere on a hot june day and the bugs were so ferocious, along with the heat and hudity, I had my first panic attack and passed out! (This was 30yrs ago).

On Saturday I decided to do a quick conditioning hike at Pawtuckaway State Park. It became pretty evident early on from the Fundy Parking area what I would have in store. The combination of deer flies, mosquitos, and other unknown insects was relentless and my arms were soar from a day of smacking, rubbing, and waving my arms non-stop. Due to the omnipresent bugs I never stopped, which was great for the conditioning but was not fun in 87 degree temps with high humidity.

I swallowed at least 3 bugs. One was definitely a horse fly and I was lucky to have ingested it before it had a chance to sting. The bugs were so thick on this section of wet and muddy trail I opted to make a b-line after the firetower for the Round Pond. This was the only time that bugs drove me off the trail in favor for a long road walk but it was worth it. My knees disagree but the welts on my head were already disappearing by the time I made it back to the car.

I almost put on my rain jacket but knew I would be dehydrated well before I ever made it off trail. I am sure this isn't the worse bug tail ever but it sure made a casual maintenance hike a really fast walk through the woods. Oh well, I certainly got my cardio alternating running and speed walking away from the insects.

Z

some times the bugs on the trails are annoying..i find by wearing sunglasses and keeping them out of my eyes i am okay as i am one of those %$#holes that bugs dont bite..

my worse bug experiences are for sure on Madison and Adams where the hybrid mutant bugs up there are down right scary some days

..the skeets on my back deck get a bit much at times as well

We were going to hammock camp in King Ravine just below Mossy Falls in August a bunch of years ago when we were swarmed by what appeared to be a 2nd hatch of black flies. Even a smoky fire and lots of deet didn't keep them out of our eyes, ears and and mouths when trying to talk. We said screw it and hiked out to stay at my parent's cabin near Bethel Maine. It's the only time that insects have changed our hiking plans.

On the other hand, I hiked the Mt Will loop in Bethel yesterday and the only things that bothered me were the pesky little eye gnats and the heat & humidity. No black flies or mosquitos in sight, and the trail was very damp from the recent rains.

The bugs around my home in Peterborough have been almost non-existent this year. I've done many sunset hikes up S. Pack with no bug issues at all. Just wish this constant humidity would go back to the south!

PR for deer fly kills on a run yesterday: 16 whacked on a 20-mile run in the NEK.

Have had deer flies keep up with me while flying downhill on my mtn bike, but yesterday's specimens were rather slow to react. Perhaps the wet, humid conditions dull their senses...?