And for today's SAR debate: what if the mountain attacks you?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
After watching 127 hours I view large rocks differently than I used to. I never really considered the threat of being pinned before that. I used to only work about sending large rocks down trail incidentally.

After watching 127 hours I view large rocks differently than I used to. I never really considered the threat of being pinned before that. I used to only work about sending large rocks down trail incidentally.

I haven't seen this. Worth the watch? 220px-127_Hours_Poster.jpg

Turns out the victim here was a 2005 A.T. thru who also did the Camino de Santiago this spring. He was helping a friend start his own thru by hiking Katahdin and the Hundred Mile Wilderness with him. Not the most fortunate start for his friend and an awful turn of events for himself. He's a retired FBI agent, trail name Ned the Fed. http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=14282

All spring BSP has been warning about loose conditions on Abol. I live about an hour south of Millinocket and we had over a foot of rain in May and June, radar looks like it has been heavier in 100 Mile Wilderness and BSP. I guess all that rain made the rocks unstable.

I watched "127 Hours" yesterday. Today, I think I'm going to go out and buy a new knife. The line that stuck with me most from the movie:

"Lesson: don't buy the cheap, made-in-China multi-tool. I tried to find my Swiss Army knife, but...
This thing came free with a flashlight. Flashlight was a piece of shit too. I kept it in my truck for emergencies. Not that I'm blaming you mom. It was a perfectly great stocking stuffer. And there's no way you could have ever known that I'd get in this kind of trouble."

I watched "127 Hours" yesterday. Today, I think I'm going to go out and buy a new knife. The line that stuck with me most from the movie:

"Lesson: don't buy the cheap, made-in-China multi-tool. I tried to find my Swiss Army knife, but...
This thing came free with a flashlight. Flashlight was a piece of shit too. I kept it in my truck for emergencies. Not that I'm blaming you mom. It was a perfectly great stocking stuffer. And there's no way you could have ever known that I'd get in this kind of trouble."

Yeah - there was that too. The whole cutting off one's arm with a dull knife made me think I'd just die if I were in the situation. I usually don't bring a knife on day hikes, so maybe I wouldn't have the option at least. :)

Also: Always leave a note.

Wow. The Hunt is no picnic, but if I had to pick a trail off Katahdin that seemed the most stable I would probably pick the Hunt! Abol and even Saddle (for a bit) have plenty of rock to slide, Cathedral has a history of significant rockfall every few years, KE is what it is, but Hunt has bigger rocks and has been well beaten out by lots and lots of people over time. Guess it goes to show that almost no rock is 100% stable. Poor guy. Hopefully a lot of plates, pins and screws later he will be OK.

All spring BSP has been warning about loose conditions on Abol. I live about an hour south of Millinocket and we had over a foot of rain in May and June, radar looks like it has been heavier in 100 Mile Wilderness and BSP. I guess all that rain made the rocks unstable.

Given how much rain all the northeast has gotten, this should be a cautionary tale for us all. Extra care is called for on rocky slopes until things dry out, at least.

PS: It's a steam bath out there, I'm sure in part due to the moisture from all the rains. I hiked across Mt. Frissell yesterday to the NY/MA/CT border monument and back. Beautiful, but very humid. I was very thankful for the winds when I wasn't behind the mountain and for the shade when I was - afternoon hike. I downed a gallon of fluids during the 3.5 miles. Mind, I drink more fluids than the average person, but on that hike or a similar one, ordinarily, I'd consume about half that.

Given how much rain all the northeast has gotten, this should be a cautionary tale for us all. Extra care is called for on rocky slopes until things dry out, at least.
Freezing temps, particularly in freeze-thaw weather can also loosen rocks. (Experienced rock climbers know that spring is the most dangerous season for rockfall.) Ice can (and does...) open cracks, split rocks, and can pry rocks off stable platforms.

Doug