Mt. Cabot, The Bulge, The Horn (trails listed below)

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mtnfan79

Reaction score
Date of Hike: 7/4/13

Trails: York Pond Trail, Bunnell Notch Trail, Killkenny Ridge Trail, Unknown Pond Trail

Trail Conditions: Overall the trails are wet and muddy. We gave up trying to keep the feet dry pretty early on in this hike. The beginnings of the York Pond and Bunnell Notch trails are pretty overgrown. I've only done this area before in the fall and most of the vegetation has died back. Not on this trip. A lot of the brush is about chest height and, in some places, have fully engulfed the trail. We definitely opted for the loop to Unknown Pond to avoid this on the way back. The rest of Bunnell Notch trail was in good condition, albeit wet and muddy, as was the Killkenny Ridge Trail. There were a few blowdowns here and there, but nothing unavoidable. When descending from Unknown Pond we were pretty disappointed to find at least 2.5 miles of more field-like hiking. The Unknown Pond trail was pretty, but the overgrown ferns hid many slippery rocks and even streams. Again, some of the brush was pretty thick and tall- watch out for prickers and thorns! Bugs, as has been the case for the last few months in the Whites, were pretty much aTa plague from car to car. The deer flies were pretty relentless in the parking area and on the lower part of the Unknown Pond trail. This was a tough day- of course, a day in the mountains is always a good day!

Special Equipment Required: Bug dope is nice, although the black flies and deer flies don't seem to care. This is the one hike that I actually thought that gaiters would have been helpful. I was also pretty happy to have Gortex shoes for this one.

Comments: Optional - The hike to The Horn is definitely worth it and the views from Unknown Pond, while buggy, are fantastic! We met some nice people, as usual. One was hiking with his wife and son up to his 48th summit. It was great to be there to see him finish- congrats!

Matt
mtnfan79