west royce, east royce 7/6/13

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bryan

Reaction score
date: 7/6/13

trails: east royce trail, royce connector trail, royce trail

conditions: posting this in the maine section as the hike began and ended there though west royce is on the nh side of the border. east royce trail was dry down low and though steep had good footing. a bit rougher and wetter near the connector junction. the connector was dry and in good shape as well. royce trail had some wet sections particularly as it approached the burnt mill brook junction. it remained damp with some wet ledge heading up to the summit of west royce. the continuation of the east royce trail to the sub peak of east royce was wet initially, but the upper ledges were nice and dry. the unofficial trail that continues to the highpoint and beyond to the nice northern view ledges was easy to spot (down a steep ledge to the right as you hit the end of the official trail marked with cairn and sign) and follow with one obscure wet section shortly after dropping off the sub peak. bugs were pretty minimal today though i did find a tick on me while driving home that i likely picked up out there. numerous small water crossings on the east royce trail were not an issue today.

equipment: nothing in particular.

comments: a couple nice peaks. despite the haze there were some good views to the surrounding mountains particularly around the summit of east royce and a breeze up high kept the heat and humidity tolerable. great to be out.

bryan

[email protected]