Mt Monadnock 7/14/13

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HubHiker

Reaction score
Brough the kids up to show them the Pumpelly Cave as a warm up for next weekends Seek the Peak, walked right passed the spot to drop down because someone (probably a ranger) has removed a distinguishable marker that used to be there. After backtracking and missing it a second time I had the kids wait in the shade while I ventured to see if I could find where the drop was. I did find it and went back to the kids and brought them down. Mind you it was extremely hot and nothing I did would cool my temp down. After climbing back out from the can location we crossed over to the Spellman trail for our trip down. Many up hikers warned us of the steepness but I was well aware having done this trail a dozen times or more and it's no worse than coming down tuckermans. Nice running brook back on the cascade link trail deep enough to dunk my head in to help cool off with the kids following suite right behind me. Hot day but always great to be hiking with my girls.

Agreed with your take on Spellman. It's only a rough down if you miss the trail, and have to navigate the ledges (I was on my 20th visit to Spellman before I realized I'd been hiking the wrong way all these years, and that the actual trail was MUCH easier than the death-defying pull-yourself-up-by-the-arms cliff climb that I had been doing).

Pumpelly Cave seems to be getting alot of press lately. I wonder if the rangers are being more proactive.

I visited the cave on Saturday, and there must have been 10-15 teenagers sliding down cliffs and whacking through the trees trying to find it.

Saturday was also hot and very sticky. I carried 1.75L of water on my Pumpelly trip and it was gone before I finished. But the blueberries helped!

Also, because I was wearing my VFTT shirt, Creag Nan Drochaid introduced himself as he and a group was finishing up building some rock steps at the bottom of the steep section of the Pumpelly. Thanks again Creag!

Quietman, is the steep part of the trail washed out with all the rain we've been getting? I know last year it had quite a bit washed out I'm sure it's gotten worse. Pumpelly is my favorite trail on Monadnock, I must have came in that way at least 10 times last year. I came in from HQ only because I had my daughters with me. I went up with 3L of water and I think I had about 2 myself and then the kids finished it off as they ran out of water in their camels.

It gets a little worse every year, I didn't notice any major differences from last year. The biggest problem is the heard paths that are developing around the rougher spots, and when they also get eroded it will be a much bigger mess. I stayed on the trail proper and had no issues. There was some mud and wet spots, but my feet stayed dry. I always seem to forget how many up and downs there are once you are on top of the ridge, good excercise, but.....

I just wish that I could get up there more often, as it's only 10 minutes from my house.

Spellman is definitely our favorite Monadnock trail, but have always done it going up. I've never had a problem going down Tucks (and have only done it that way). Perhaps need to reverse the routes and try each in the opposite direction. Have not visited the cave yet and will have to make a point of that the next time up.

Perhaps I'll run into you at STP this weekend. In any case, have a great hike!

Mark, what route you got planned out for STP? My daughter and I are making loop up Ammonoosuc to the summit and down Jewel back to the lot. We got to the afterparty late last year so depending on how my daughter does (11yr old) we may not even bother with it this year. We are staying in Lincoln tomorrow thru Sun.