Backpacking the Mahoosucs

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mtruman

Reaction score
On the Fourth of July long weekend we (and I use the term loosely) did a 4 day south to north backpack of the Mahoosuc Range from Gorham to Grafton Notch. Some of us fared better than others. You'll have to read the report for the details...

Here's the whole story: http://theramblingsblog.blogspot.com/2013/07/backpacking-mahoosucs.html

and the image that means the most to me from this trip:

Nat on Old Speck for #61 of the NE67. You kicked a$$ girl! We'll be back there together soon...
Mahoosucs%252BBackpack%252B7-4-13%252Bto%252B7-2633331745-O.jpg

Looks like you had a very fun trip despite all the rain. Great write up with some awesome pictures...and finger puppets:p

Thanks to whomever did the photos on the blog (appears to be a group effort).

I can highly recommend NUUN tablets for leg cramps, I used to drink large volumes of water while hiking and afterwards to keep from leg cramps post hike but still had issues until I started using NUUN. Far better than Gatoraide and a lot lighter to carry.

NUUN tablets
Per tablet (16 oz of water):
* 360 mg sodium
* 100 mg potassium
* 25 mg magnesium
* 13 mg calcium
* (and, of course, flavoring)
* ~$2
From http://shop.nuun.com.

Looks like a fairly typical electrolyte drink mix.

Sodium (table salt) and potassium are the main ingredients of electrolyte drinks and the amounts of magnesium and calcium are pretty trivial compared to the MDR. You can do as well for a lot less. Eg: http://www.vftt.org/forums/showthread.php?4914-Long-distance-nutrition&p=54650&viewfull=1#post54650 (Yes, yet another shameless plug for my home-brewed electrolyte mix.)

Doug

Last edited:
Thanks guys - appreciate the comments and the input.

Thanks to whomever did the photos on the blog (appears to be a group effort).

I can highly recommend NUUN tablets for leg cramps, I used to drink large volumes of water while hiking and afterwards to keep from leg cramps post hike but still had issues until I started using NUUN. Far better than Gatoraide and a lot lighter to carry.

The pictures from the first day were mine plus a few of Kim's. The rest were all Kim's.

Thanks for the suggestion on the NUUN tablets. Jen was actually using them at least the first couple of days on this trip and I hadn't seen them before. I did actually have a pretty strong Gatorade mix in my first two liters of the day, but probably should have had more later. I'm pretty sure that 5 liters of liquid also wasn't enough for this day.

Interestingly I had been reading about leg cramp avoidance techniques shortly before this hike (although I've had the problem for many years) and the overwhelming results I found were about enough salt (although there were plenty of suggestions about electrolytes in general). I actually had thrown a small bag of non-iodized salt in my pack at the last minute and considered adding some to the water or just oversalting my dinner. I hadn't done either one but when I got the cramps that night I actually just ate a bit straight (awful!) and washed it down with a bunch of water. Not sure if it's the reason, but the cramps didn't recur that night once they finally subsided. The potential issue with salt - particularly like this or as salt tablets - is that it can wreak havoc with your stomach. At least in this case mine as already having enough issues without it

Per tablet (16 oz of water):
* 360 mg sodium
* 100 mg potassium
* 25 mg magnesium
* 13 mg calcium
* (and, of course, flavoring)
* ~$2
From http://shop.nuun.com.

Looks like a fairly typical electrolyte drink mix.

Sodium (table salt) and potassium are the main ingredients of electrolyte drinks and the amounts of magnesium and calcium are pretty trivial compared to the MDR. You can do as well for a lot less. Eg: http://www.vftt.org/forums/showthread.php?4914-Long-distance-nutrition&p=54650&viewfull=1#post54650 (Yes, yet another shameless plug for my home-brewed electrolyte mix.)

Doug

Thanks for the suggestion Doug. I'm definitely going to try your home-brew recipe. I do think that the idea of adding some calcium somehow (which someone suggest in the thread you mentioned) is good. Again, evidence that this helps prevent cramps. I think your math may be off on the cost of NUUN though. Their site says 15 tablets per tube (1 tablet per 16oz), 4 tubes for $29, which would be $0.50 each vs. $2. Still not cheap compared to the home-brew and I really like the fact that you can adjust the individual ingredients with your method. I'll perhaps give both a try and compare. Anything that can prevent the cramps is worth it!

I absolutely loved this trip report. thanks for sharing

Thanks Chris. Hope you can get out there and give it go yourself sometime

I haven't been to the Mahoosics since my AT thru hike in 99 except for Old Speck. Believe it or not I actually did the Mahoosic Notch twice by accident. I passed through the notch and looked at my map and had lunch. I started hiking, and the trail was very rough. On the map read Notch two so I thought I was on that. Turns out I got turned around and went throught notch in reverse. Then I had to go back through to continue north. I was not so happy about that mistake, it was only time on entire AT that I hiked wrong way.

Mark and Ladies, Excellent. One of the best pictorial essays I've seen of going through Mahoosuc Notch with a full pack. I think you've inspired and scared away an equal number of hikers.

Interestingly I had been reading about leg cramp avoidance techniques shortly before this hike (although I've had the problem for many years) and the overwhelming results I found were about enough salt (although there were plenty of suggestions about electrolytes in general). I actually had thrown a small bag of non-iodized salt in my pack at the last minute and considered adding some to the water or just oversalting my dinner. I hadn't done either one but when I got the cramps that night I actually just ate a bit straight (awful!) and washed it down with a bunch of water. Not sure if it's the reason, but the cramps didn't recur that night once they finally subsided. The potential issue with salt - particularly like this or as salt tablets - is that it can wreak havoc with your stomach. At least in this case mine as already having enough issues without it
Salt tablets were the "old" way. They had the problem that the salt came in large chunks that were not coordinated with the amount of water intake. (Both too much and too little salt can cause problems...) Thus electrolyte drinks (where the ratio is pre-determined) have replaced the tablets (or taking salt in powdered form).

Thanks for the suggestion Doug. I'm definitely going to try your home-brew recipe. I do think that the idea of adding some calcium somehow (which someone suggest in the thread you mentioned) is good. Again, evidence that this helps prevent cramps. I think your math may be off on the cost of NUUN though. Their site says 15 tablets per tube (1 tablet per 16oz), 4 tubes for $29, which would be $0.50 each vs. $2. Still not cheap compared to the home-brew and I really like the fact that you can adjust the individual ingredients with your method. I'll perhaps give both a try and compare. Anything that can prevent the cramps is worth it!
After having some problems, I tried commercial electrolytes, read the article by Kelly Cordes, and formulated my own. The NaCl and KCl are the most important components, but feel free to add whatever else you want. The amount of Ca in your bloodstream is buffered by the Ca in your skeleton so you have a pretty good built-in supply. Replacement in the drink is not a bad idea but I don't think it is very important.

FWIW, I used 1/4 tsp Morton Lite Salt plus 1 tbsp of sugar per liter last weekend while doing some very hot trail work and all was well.

RE: the cost. That was my interpretation of the website info, but whatever. $0.50 per 16oz is still $1.00 per liter compared to less than $0.01 per liter for the homebrew.

BTW, there are a few other theads that contain potentially useful info on using my formulation. A search on "Morton Lite salt" should find them for you.

Doug

Last edited:
Doug's formula works and I have linked to his post a few times for hiking groups. For dayhikes I have mixed it up and keep Morton lite salt in the cupboard. The reason I use Nuun is two fold, It doesn't take up a lot of room in the pack and is convenient to use on multiday trips. I used to prepackage gatoraid powder for AT backpacks but they tended to split open on occasion.

One complaint that I have heard from a few female hikers is that Nuun makes them retain water. I will let others argue this point.

Doug's formula works and I have linked to his post a few times for hiking groups. For dayhikes I have mixed it up and keep Morton lite salt in the cupboard. The reason I use Nuun is two fold, It doesn't take up a lot of room in the pack and is convenient to use on multiday trips. I used to prepackage gatoraid powder for AT backpacks but they tended to split open on occasion.
Thanks for the testimonial. :)

For summer day hikes I tend to carry several (typ 3 or 4) 750 ml water bottles (just a convenient size for me). I prepare one with electrolyte at home and make up enough dry mix for the remaining bottles (plus enough to add to any refills)*. This keeps pure water available for any first-aid or washing needs. (Or pouring over one's head on a hot day...)

* I carry my dry mix in a small wide-mouth (polyethylene) Nalgene bottle. No splitting or spilling.

I have also talked to a runner who carries a bottle of commercial electrolyte and a bottle of water and drinks about equally from both thus mixing them internally.

As discussed in one of the other threads on electrolytes, some (many? most?) commercial electrolyte drinks load up the sugar/carbohydrate concentration to the max of 6-7%. This is fine if you dilute it or don't ingest any other sugars, but in combination with other sugars can give you a stomach ache. (This is one reason that I keep my sugar concentration down to 1-2% (1 tbsp sugar/liter H20). Plus it reduces the bulk of the dry mix.)

One complaint that I have heard from a few female hikers is that Nuun makes them retain water. I will let others argue this point.
360mg of sodium/16oz H20 = 756mg of sodium/liter H2O
This is a very high concentration of salt and a likely cause. (I, a male hiker, also retain water if I ingest too much salt.) It suggests that 1 Nunn tablet per liter might be a better concentration.

Doug

Last edited: