New York Man Dies While Hiking in White Mountains

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bikehikeskifish

VFTT Supporter
Reaction score
CONCORD, N.H. – A 30-year-old New York man died while hiking in the White Mountains yesterday afternoon (Wednesday, July 17, 2013).

Christopher J. Todd, age 30, of Rochester, N.Y., was on a group hike up the Blueberry Ledge Trail, which starts in Sandwich, N.H. He had hiked about four miles with the group to the summit of Mount Whiteface, then, about 5 p.m., he became unable to continue as they descended. Todd stopped and lost consciousness about a mile from the trailhead. His fellow hikers called 911 for help.

http://www.wildnh.com/Newsroom/2013/Q3/SR_hiker_death_071813.html

Tim

Last edited:
What a tragedy.

The statement from NH Fish and Game alluding to high temps and adequate water consumption may be an effort to warn others of what may have contributed to the death of this hiker. Dehydration can in fact lead to acute renal failure, (kidney failure).

His friends followed the proper protocol for an unconscious patient (calling 911 and not stopping CPR until relieved by medical professional).
I hope they can find some comfort in knowing they did all they could...

Truly heartbreaking.

Z :(

Damn. My condolences to his family and friends. It sounds like they did what they could. When things like this happen it's always a stark reminder that anything can happen at anytime to anyone.

I had heat stroke during field maneuvers in the Army back in 1988. I was medivac'd to the hospital and put in a bed of ice, where my temperature peaked to 106.4° and remained there for over 2 hours, when it finally came back down. I was hospitalized for 10 days and lost 15 pounds during that time. To this day my body does not react well to high temperatures. I remember my squad leader crying and the doctors telling the nurse to contact my parents, it was very frightening. I was 20.

Very sad. Condolences to his friends and family. I wonder whether this was an organized group or just friends.

I had heat stroke during field maneuvers in the Army back in 1988. I was medivac'd to the hospital and put in a bed of ice, where my temperature peaked to 106.4° and remained there for over 2 hours, when it finally came back down. I was hospitalized for 10 days and lost 15 pounds during that time. To this day my body does not react well to high temperatures. I remember my squad leader crying and the doctors telling the nurse to contact my parents, it was very frightening. I was 20.
Lawn Sale I was shocked to read that it can take that long for body temperature to decrease. Just goes to show how critical it is to prevent heat stroke and to intervene early.

As a group leader I find it difficult--if not impossible-- to monitor how much people drink/eat and frankly there is a huge variation between how much people seem to need. I've hiked with folks who are quite experienced and almost never drink.

apparently part of the story not told in paper. Hikers became separated from the main group at Upper blueberry ledge/ cut off jct. While the group continued on Blueberry ledge some hikers descended blueberry ledge cut off..realized they were apart from group and re ascended the steep section and started down proper trail. Apparently the reascent of cut off..which is pretty steep in spots, proved to be too much exertion. Sad story for sure about a tragedy that happened with an inexperienced group that probably should not have hiked in the existing conditions

as for PamW comments..while I am a water drinker.. I am always amazed to do a midsummer Bonds traverse with some friends that don't drain a liter ever.. sure saves on pack weight

On my Bonds hike last weekend, I went through an 80-oz. bladder on the way to Guyot camp, another 80 oz. on the Bonds loop, and another 80 oz. returning to the car at Zealand. Our group of 4 hikers went through 15 gallons of water in camp between cooking and drinking.

The statement from NH Fish and Game alluding to high temps and adequate water consumption may be an effort to warn others of what may have contributed to the death of this hiker. Dehydration can in fact lead to acute renal failure, (kidney failure).
I always tell people to drink all the water they need unless the quality is really putrid. In NH backcountry the worst you are likely to get from untreated water is some unpleasant pathogens which are treatable when you get home. Better than not making it home.

The night my younger brother was born was the hottest of the summer, 1986 - high of 113 F either that day or the next, as I recall. I was young, healthy and fit. We were all nervous and excited waiting at the hospital for mom to give birth. In that state of mind, I ate a bag of sunflower seeds from a vending machine, was rancid. I hungrily, nervously powered through the bad taste. Mistake, big one. I got a bad case of food poisoning. My temp shot up to 108 F the next day. Scary!

We made up an ice bath in our bathtub - cold water, lots of ice. I got in and felt much better, but still quite sick - didn't mind the super-cold temp, it felt great in fact. Anyhow, the foul food got through my system, what part I couldn't empty from my stomach, and I ended up ok. No after-effects from that episode as to high temps - just hate getting too hot like the most people. Dodged a bullet there.

I feel awful that this young man perished. It's a reminder that all of us, whatever our age or fitness level, have to be mindful of limits and aware of the warning signs for hyper- and hypothermia. I've found that thirst starts, for me, with the thought of water or drinking it, rather than some felt urgency or need for it. If out hiking, the need/craving will come not long after. If I've got something to drink, I will got ahead and take some in upon that first thought. Gotta pay attention to those signals the body is sending - the big disadvantages of younger people are the sense of invulnerability and often a lack of experience or knowledge. Painful to hear of one cut down so young and, most likely, so needlessly.

Last edited:
We should note that there has been no information as of yet as to the actual cause of death. Perhaps we should wait for such info rather than speculating.

Hikers on the trail have died suddenly even when heat was not a factor...

Doug