Temporary Closure of Lincoln Woods trail

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If I read the pre bid minutes correctly, sounds like the trail will be open weekends and closed during the work week.

15 day job, so it's not going to impact hikers for too long.

If I were in your shoes, I'd straight-line it. Stay the night at Greenleaf hut, bushwhack down Lincoln Slide, hike up OH from its "official" trail, then either bushwhack down and up W Bond, or Bushwhack down the North side of OH to 13 falls tent site.

I think I'll wait for you to pioneer that route. Be sure to post pictures and coordinates when you do. As others have stated, there are lots of alternate routes. I guess there is no truth to the rumor that the FS is mitigating their bad decision to take down the bridge by installing a temporary zip line at the site?

It looks like they'll be burying a bunch of the railroad ties too. My toes will appreciate that on the walk out.

....and get the skiing going sooner as less base will be needed. Patience is a Virtue.

If I read the pre bid minutes correctly, sounds like the trail will be open weekends and closed during the work week. 15 day job, so it's not going to impact hikers for too long.

https://www.fbo.gov/index?s=opportu...ef415074e03379f5ac58b8fe09c&tab=core&_cview=1

Reading carefully, this contract is just for surfacing, construction of a turn-around area, and delivery of certain materials. It does not cover the bank stabilization, culvert repairs, or construction of the relocation. (I could be wrong, but that's what I get from a quick review) So the 15 days is just the prep work for the primary repairs to follow in a separate contract, or to be done directly by the USFS.

The complete scope of work is listed in the decision memo I posted earlier.
http://a123.g.akamai.net/7/123/1155...i.com/11558/www/nepa/89542_FSPLT3_1447462.pdf

It looks like they'll be burying a bunch of the railroad ties too. My toes will appreciate that on the walk out.

LOL mine too. One day, I had traversed the Bonds and the Twins from the Kanc. and on my walk out, I was basically falling asleep while walking on that section, I kept tripping on those dam ties and waking up!

Looks like they are starting work on the 5th:

Date(s): Aug 1, 2013
The Lincoln Woods Trail will be open for recreation this weekend, Saturday and Sunday, August 3-4. The Lincoln Woods Trail is anticipated to be closed beginning early next week, in preparation for major trail repairs. This trail was eroded during Tropical Storm Irene and a contract has been awarded to repair the trail.

http://www.fs.usda.gov/alerts/whitemountain/alerts-notices/?aid=19097

Reading carefully, this contract is just for surfacing, construction of a turn-around area, and delivery of certain materials. It does not cover the bank stabilization, culvert repairs, or construction of the relocation. (I could be wrong, but that's what I get from a quick review) So the 15 days is just the prep work for the primary repairs to follow in a separate contract, or to be done directly by the USFS.

I agree and it appears that the USFS will actually perform the washout repair work. Out of curiosity, I downloaded the drawings. It appears that the contracted scope of work includes gravel trail regrading from 400 feet west of the bridge to 3400 feet north of the bridge that will bury the railroad ties (for construction truck traffic access), cross-trail drainage piping at various locations up on the regraded trail, construction of a truck turnaround 2000 feet north of the bridge, reconstruction of a culvert and installation of a rock "rip-rap" overflow adjacent to the washout and delivery of "materials" (rock?). So, the contractor has 15 days to do his work or by August 20. Knowing the scope of work involved, I can understand the closing of this trail. The USFS portion of the project schedule, washout reconstruction and trail relocation, is unknown and how their work will impact the trail remaining open is also unknown.

However, the big question is: How does this project fit within the definition of "Wilderness" in light of the recent removal of the bridges in the name of wilderness. Is it because the trail is considered historic because of the old railroad bed?

Last edited:
How does this project fit within the definition of "Wilderness" in light of the recent removal of the bridges in the name of wilderness.
Your point is valid because of its role as a primary access; however, I don't believe the (formerly part of the Wilderness Trail) now-named Lincoln Woods Trail is wilderness.

However, the big question is: How does this project fit within the definition of "Wilderness" in light of the recent removal of the bridges in the name of wilderness.
It doesn't, since it doesn't fall within the Wilderness Area boundary.

As much of a bummer it is the trail will be closed, maybe starting August 5th will make it so it reopens by Labor Day weekend. Though they did say 6-8 weeks....but one can hope.

I was on the trail today with SteveR and HA for their dog Kibo's 48 finish. Woo-Hoo!

We noticed ATV tracks and several cut trees near the steep bank on the opposite side of the erosion. Several of the cut trees were placed next to the small trees seen in the picture above were the erosion has occurred.

There was A LOT of foot traffic on the Lincoln Woods Trail by both hikers and walkers alike. I heard rumors that the Forest Service may add an additional trail. I also heard that some of the old railroad ties might be removed or covered over for better footing further down.

Z :D

I was out hiking the Pemi loop August 1-3 and wanted to give everyone an update. When I arrived back to the Lincoln Woods trailhead there was a new sign put up regarding the trail closure..

DSC01331.JPG

And the section of trail in question
DSC01329.JPG

From part of a press release that came out today - reported on Facebook by Bryan Flagg, Publisher of Northcountry News NH

“Although we try to minimize the impact of closures on the experiences of Forest visitors, this trail is such a popular trail year-round, there is no "good time" to complete the extensive work necessary,” said Jon Morrissey, Pemigewasset District Ranger. “We have worked with the contractor who will be performing the repairs on the lower portion of the trail and they have agreed to avoid work on the weekends. With this in mind I’m confident that we’ll be able to have the trail open safely to the public every Saturday and Sunday as normal.”

From part of a press release that came out today - reported on Facebook by Bryan Flagg, Publisher of Northcountry News NH

“Although we try to minimize the impact of closures on the experiences of Forest visitors, this trail is such a popular trail year-round, there is no "good time" to complete the extensive work necessary,” said Jon Morrissey, Pemigewasset District Ranger. “We have worked with the contractor who will be performing the repairs on the lower portion of the trail and they have agreed to avoid work on the weekends. With this in mind I’m confident that we’ll be able to have the trail open safely to the public every Saturday and Sunday as normal.”

That's great news - thank you for sharing it, bobandgeri. They've listened to the community's concerns. Bravo! Let's hope the repair work goes smoothly and efficiently and the weekend weather cooperates in the coming weekends.

That seems like a great compromise to me.

They've listened to the community's concerns. Bravo! Let's hope the repair work goes smoothly and efficiently and the weekend weather cooperates in the coming weekends.
They asked me nicely today to stop while three workers tried to pull out a stump. After 5 minutes of turnbuckling and chopping a group of three bicyclists came along and we were immediately allowed pass. Maybe they just decided the stump won.

I'm sure this huge erosion problem has been exhaustively studied and the project marvelously planned.

We hiked Bondcliff Sat and went in via Lincoln Woods. The trail was open for the weekend although conflicting notices were posted. Earlier notices saying the trail was closed were still in evidence but no work was being done and the trail went right past the reconstruction area. It appeared to be heavily used based on the number of cars in the parking lot. The East Branch was definitely un-fordable after a 2 inch rain Friday. It was really roaring and was a strange caramel color upstream. Will post trail conditions in appropriate place if no one else does.