ADK hiking question

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brobichaud

Reaction score
I have a wedding to attend in upstate New York early next month, and that finds me in the enviable position of being able to squeeze in a hike in the Adirondacks beforehand. I've never hiked in New York before, and wanted to get some input from those who have.

My question is this: What's the best, bang for your buck, day hike in the Adirondacks? I'd prefer something in the High Peaks, maybe as a start towards working on the 46. Mileage isn't a big deal, but I will be driving from Maine that morning. It looks like my hiking day will be Thursday the 8th.

Thanks for any information you can provide!

If you have good weather think about hiking Wright, Algonquin, Iroquois. Beautiful views and you get to hike back through Avalanche Pass which is great, too!

If the weather is crummy, Street and Nye is a hike to think about doing.

Big fan of Algonquin Wright and Iroquois. All have fantastic views if weather is OK.

Avalanche Pass, at a minimum.

If I had only one day in the Adirondacks (with enough time and energy) I think I'd hike in past Marcy Dam, up through Avalanche Pass to Lake Colden, turn up the steep trail to Algonquin and go back down.
I've done this a few times, once in a winter white out and it was still worth while.
If you had time and energy to spare, you could tag Iroquois and Wright. Avalanche Pass is not a peak obviously, but certainly is a spectacular destination.

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl...a=X&ei=T-fyUZ-2JpHO9ASv2oCADw&ved=0CCwQ9QEwAA

Good advice by all. Chip's especially.
Giant is a great hike by the ridge trail but even mid week, it's a parade of people and the weekend, jammed.
A better way to hike Giant if you don't mind a pretty big day is come in from New Russia over Rocky Peak Ridge. Spectacular and you're unlikely to run into many until you hit RPR and then onto the summit of Giant.

Maybe best bang for the buck hikes: Noonmark Ridge trail and Hurricane. 3k+ peaks with fantastic views.

Other knock your socks off hikes: Haystack - long day to what many consider the most spectacular of the 4ks. Colden, another great peak but with crowds as is Gothics.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone! Now to pull out the maps and try to figure out some options. :)

If mileage is no object, the Wright's Algonquin, Iroquois trip is maybe the most similar in NY to the Franconia Ridge trip. A bit longer but with Avy Pass, its more dramatic. My second choice would be a loop over Yarde, Big Slide & the brothers. On a Thursday you have a good shot at getting a spot in the Garden. (the parking lot serving JBL and trails in this area) take the the trail to JBL, go up over Yarde (a sub peak of Big Slide) to the Big Slide summit, maybe the best spot to view Gothics on this side. You then descend over teh Brothers, lots of ledges with great views of Gothics and the lower Great Range.

Third choice, Sawteeth, Pyramid & Gothics. (Many debate if the best view in the ADK contains Gothics or is from Gothics, this hike does both.)

If you are driving from Maine that day, and time is short, Cascade and Porter. Trail starts right at the road, no long approach. Bare top for Cascade with nice views. Porter will give you ADK #2.

Debating two options now: Wright, Algonquin, Iroquois, and back through Avalanche Pass. Or... Sawteeth, Gothics, Armstrong, Upper and Lower Wolfjaw, from St. Huberts. Strongly leaning towards the latter.